applicating granular pre m and dust mask

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

how many of u use a dust mask when applicating pre m?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've thought about it, but thats the extent. Never have though

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

applicating?

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Always--You can't replace your lungs. Think about it--you wear protective clothing for splash backs--Guys admit it, we've all hit trees, concrete and had a little space back on our legs and arms. Couldn't a little of that get into your mouth and nose. As the day goes on things dry out and dust appears and dust picks up some of the residual from the grass. Those desposable one at least are just cheap insurance. I wouldn't think of not using a canister type when spraying fruit trees just this week.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i started today. it was not all that bad. my helper said that his glasses kept foggen up..

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about it. However i would be more worried about wearing a mask doing a lime app. IMO
    -Jay

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ant,

Get the dust masks with the vent in the center of the mask. Problem solved with glasses.

And we wear a mask with ANY Insect/Disease Control/Herbicide on Fert.

Pete

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

who's pre-M are you using? Lesco's? I've never used theirs, but I like Dimension and Stonewall better.

Is there wind? I would change my spread pattern so that I could be upwind AMAP. I used to use some professional Scotts (andersons Pendim....) and it wasn't that dusty (just gummed up impeller) but I was on a PG so it didn't bother me (just gave me yellow legs).
    your that worried about it; use dimension instead.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We wear high quality 3M dust masks on all granular pesticide apps and lime apps.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I wear the mask with the two round filters on each side. Can't remember what it's called.

Makes me look sort of like a stormtrooper but my boogers don't change colors anymore and my sinuses don't bother me nearly as much.:laugh: