APPLICATION AMOUNTS FOR DEICERS

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by PINEISLAND1, Sep 9, 2000.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Can someone give me some ball park figures for straight salt and also for Magic for a typical application.

The job is a private road, 3/10's of a mile. Just an average per app would help- I realize some days require more than others, but something to base a bid on would be heplful. I plan on bagged granular, either rock salt or magic.

Thanks!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

what are you spreading it with?how wide is the road,I guessing its 1550ft aproxXwidth will give you sq ft.I pay about 45-65$ for a yard of straight salt,I doubt you could make any money using bagged material-its just to expensive.I spread mine thru my V-bax spreader.My guess is if its 20ft wide,you will need sbout 1/2 yard every time for a nice heavy application,that would be around 31000sg ft.I can get a yard to go around 40-8000 depending on conditions and lot shape

3. Alan

Alan Member

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Since we here at the forum use both bulk and bagged salt, I just wanted to point out a few facts.

1 cubic yard of salt = 27 cubic feet of salt.
    1 cubic yard of salt weighs on avg. 1350 - 2000 pounds.

Bagged salt commonly comes in 25 pound, and 80 pound bags.
    What you need to know, is how many cubic feet are in each bag. Then you could easily convert from yards to "bags".
    A good guess would be about 2 - 3 cubic feet in an 80 pound bag.

Calcium Chloride comes in 80 and 100 pound bags. Again, you'd have to know how many cubic feet are in a bag, to convert from yards to "bags".

So on that 1/2 mile road for instance, using the 2 and then 3 cubic feet per bag....

If a bag holds 2 cubic feet, you' need 6 - 7 bags to salt it heavily, applying 13 cubic feet.

If a bag holds 3 cubic feet, you'd need 4 - 5 bags to salt it heavily, again applying 13 cubic feet.

~Chuck

5. Alan

Alan Member

According to the Salt Institute, (gotta assume they know what they are talking about) a cubic yard of "average" rock salt weighs 2160 lbs. A ton of salt occupies .85 cubic yards. This is taken from their numbers for calculating how big a building you need to store a given tonnage of salt. Up here we buy strictly by the ton, never had to deal with variations in yardage. I do know that salt with a lot of fines weighs more for a given volume than mostly coarse stuff does. Also, a lot of fines will increase your usage and decrease the ability of a given quantity to work as a DEicer, while increasing it's abiliy to work as an ANTI icer. That is from my observations anyhow. For what it's worth, pre-treatment with Magic seems to bind the fines into larger clumps which burn through pack much better than fines just dusted over the top.

6. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

"Ok what will give you is application per 1000 sq ft.
    We apply at the rate of 500# per 1000 sq ft in deicing situations, meaning
    after plowing. If we apply magic coated salt before snow, then we double the
    application rate."
    Dino

-------------------------------------------------------

Dino-

Are these numbers you emailed me accurate?

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

sorry I meant 500# per 10000 sq ft, or about 3000# per lane mile
    Lane mile = 5280x 12'or 63360 sq feet divide that by 10000 sq feet and you are at 6.33 x 500 lbs and you end up with
    3168 # per lane mile.
    Dino

8. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

Dino-

Why is your magic application almost triple the amount that chuck says he would apply of rock salt? I cant imagine putting 1500 lbs on this 1500 ft. stretch, or twice that much before a snow. I couldnt get anyone to pay that much.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I dont think that a ton per 60000 sq ft is to much for an application rate. But if would like, cut that by 1/2.
    Here is what I have to say about that, if I charge $150.00 tp salt a 60000 sq ft lot, and it will cost me $ 60.00 for the material to spread that lot, and to be sure that the lot is safe, then that is how I pursue that account. you asked me my rate of app,and I gave it to you.
    Please dont chastise me for the info.
    Dino

10. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

Dino-

I am new to the deicing, and just trying to figure this out. You set yourself up as a salesman and rep for Magic, so please don't be surprised that I'm asking you these questions. Its nothing personal, I don't know you at all , and we live 800 miles apart. Im simply asking why if Magic is supposed to cut my salt usage almost in half, the application rate is quoted to me as more than double. Its a product question, not an Exterior Solutions operating procedures question.