Application of Lime

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Advanced-Lawncare, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Advanced-Lawncare

Advanced-Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hi guys got a question for you when is the best time to apply Lime down on lawns in the northeast.

2. Advanced-Lawncare

Advanced-Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hi guys got a question for you when is the best time to apply Lime down on lawns in the northeast.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

You can lime anytime of the year but I usually lime after I aerate so the pellets get down into the soil quicker.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on why you are applying lime. If you are just trying to raise pH, then wet weather is best since it helps the lime translocate down into the soil. This is usually in the fall of the year simply because of the amounts generally used. If you are trying to apply calcium to the plants, then anytime will do, (simply because if the plants are already showing a calcium deficency, then you are already late in your lime application),but again it takes wet weather to get the lime to move into the plants. I like adding lime in the hot summer months since it helps the availabe N get into the plants so the plants green up with out extra N apps that can cause fungal diseases. Of course my soils are so calcium deficient it takes 4000lb per acre to even get close to the 68% base saturation that I am looking for, this means on established lawns, I have to spread out lime apps.