Application Rate Question??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Reel_Green, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to put out SpeedZone Southern and I have a question about the application rate.

I'm using a 15 gallon sprayer. In order to get 1 oz. per 1000 sq. ft. how much SpeedZone should I add per gallon of water?

The sprayer puts out approximately 26 gallons per acre when I'm running about 3 mph.

Thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough info. How wide is your spray pattern? How much area do you cover in 30 seconds? 1 minute? You need to know these things, first.

3. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

Runner

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll measure my nozzle width in the morning. In the meantime I found a GREAT chemical Calculator. Try it out and tell me what you think.

http://floridaturf.com/bermuda/spraycal.htm

Thanks again

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

With this info we know that the 15 gal sprayer is treating 25,000sf, or 1650 sf per gal.

being sure to apply that uniformly is key for good results.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If your sprayer is running at the rate you mentioned 1.6 ounce speedzone per gal water should be sufficient to get the coverage rate of 1 ounce per thousand sq ft.

6. real green did give enough info!!!!!!!!!1

7. Turf Medic

Tim, is your answer 1oz and if so how did you come up with that?

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Answer is fairly simple when you think about it.

1. 26 gallon per acre / by 43.5 thousand sq feet = .6 gallon of water per Thousand Sq Feet

2. one ounce chemical / .6 water = 1.6666 ounces per gallon.

Now check it back the other way 1.6666 ounces of chemical X .6 gallons of water = 1 ounce

9. Turf Medic

So is your answer 1.666 oz per gal of water:D ?

Do you ever take into consideration the fact that part of the gallon coming out of your sprayer is chemical ie 126.3333 oz water and 1.6666 oz of chemical? IMO not a big deal with this small amount, however with chemicals that use a larger volume per k.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Medic

Not really but then again yes. How is that for an answer? What I do is add water until the tank is just over haft full. I then add my chemicals. Then I top off the tank to the desired volume. So in a way I do, But I do not do the math. But you are right about the volume of water. A one gallon mix of Liquid Sevin at 8 oz of chemicals would only have 120 oz of water. With the human factor of spraying I think you need not be that exact.