1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

applications in the rain

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy82, May 22, 2001.

1. hey guys. i got this customer who wants the lawn to be fed. right now it is pouring rain outside. i have in my garage 50 lbs of urea. not poly coated, sulfur coated or anything like that. so i am wondering if i should go out there and put the stuff down? i figure go get the spreader, put the stuff in there, and just cover the hopper with a garbage bag or something? what do you all think about that? i would like to get it done sometime within the next hour or two.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it...it'll get watered in well. Just make sure you keep it dry so it flows evenly.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Straight Urea this time of year ? With Summer temps?
    Well if it doesn't burn then it will grow 4" a day.

One other quick word of warning. If the urea does not completely dissolve and the sun comes out, the mostly dissolved prill can relese ammonia gas at the turf level, completely destroying the turf.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. You must be a glutton for punishment. Do you actually apply 100% water soluible N to lawns that you mow?

Do yourself a favor and go to lesco and buy some 5-10-31 or 32-5-7
    with 50% poly coated N and apply at a rate of 1/3 lb. of N per 1k sq ft.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have an answer to your question but a question of my own...sorry and hope you don't mind.

I went out today inbetween rain spells and put down Momentum on 3 accounts. There's been a nice steady rain ,no torrential downpours since 5pm. Forecast for more rain Thursday & Friday... Is this okay? Did I make a mistake? Will it all wash away?

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

The foliar herbicide will wash off the leaves of the weeds and be ineffective, but the systemic herbicide and the fert will be fine.
  7. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks osc...

Could you please educate or point me somewhere about foliar and systemic.

The target on one lawn was clover (lot's of it)... screwed?

How long must the herbicide stay in contact with the leaf?

8. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a novel idea. READ THE LABEL!!!!

Id bet you $1.00 that the label will say apply through a calibrated spreader to DRY turf.

Applying fertilizer particularly urea to wet turf is sure to cause major spotting damage as the granuals will stick to leaf surface and disolve not work they way down into the root zone. Let us know what you did lawnboy as Id be interested in seeing the post application lawn pic.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt apply now,its supposed to pour later tonight,in our area,and the ground is already saturated at the surface.Theses conditions are not the best for keeping the fertilzer on the property.it will wash off,and add to the nitrates in our water system instead of feeding the lawn.Lawnboy-its memorial day weekend-who cares if he wants it now,you need to take some time off.TSG,dont you read the label? All foliar applications must dry completely before mowing or watering,if it didnt dry-it wasnt effective,and you just wasted the pesticide,and it ran off target(grass blade)-which is a no-no, big time fines around here for that.
  10. Lawn-Scapes

John... Yes I read the label. It said to apply the granular Momentum when grass is wet from sprinklers, rain or morning dew. Thanks tho....