1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Applicator license in pa

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by psdnate, Jan 27, 2012.

1. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

I'm in pa and was wondering if you need an applicator license to spread organic fertilizer? I am going organic this year on my lawn to see how it goes and if it works good I was thinking about offering that service to my costumers for the following year.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you're getting paid for profit, you need a license in the state of PA to apply any material. Getting a license isn't hard. You take the Core test (closed book), and the Cat. 7, which is open book.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

3. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

Natty thanks for the reply. I see we're in the area. What services do you offer? If I decide not to offer fertilizing maybe I could sub it out to you if you offer fertilizing.

4. NattyLawn

I would definitely get your license. You'll make more profit per app than mowing and take your business to the next level.

I'd much rather be your consultant that out humping more lawns. :)

5. chrisgallagherr

chrisgallagherr LawnSite Member

Natty I'm for pa around Philly area and was wondering were I can find a test near me

6. NattyLawn

7. chrisgallagherr

Yeh that helped a little but there's so many tests and codes I saw the one for lawn care I think it was pep-07 how many tests and hoops do I have to jump threw and how long does the license last and I have landscaping and bussiness insurance now is that enought to get my license or is there a specialty insurance needed

8. NattyLawn

You need Core (00) and Cat 7. License expires yearly. There are recertification credits needed to keep your license. You need liability insurance up to 1 million dollars I think. Check with your insurance company.

9. chrisgallagherr

So the recertification credits are they tests or just refresher courses you go learn and no test

10. NattyLawn

No test, but they will cost you some $$$ in meeting fees or buying online credits.