Applicator Training Program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Snapnek, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Snapnek

Snapnek LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a study course, online or not, that will allow someone to learn how to apply fertilizer and weed control chemicals? I live in the state of Louisiana and i'm trying to start a "lawncare" division of a landscape company. Any information would be of a great help.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i was thinking of the same thing. Im interested to find out, I have done web searches and couldn't find anything.
  3. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

What kind of training program does the franchise company's use Like Scott's, TGCL, Lawn Doctor and others to train their employees? They only teach you so much when you get your license. Unless you have experience you will need to learn how to identify potential lawn problems, ID weeds and disease and come up with a cure. Anyone know how the training is at these larger company's and if you can get access to their resources? Here is a link for Scott's training.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I have a degree in agriculture and learned a lot of stuff there. However, experience is the best teacher. You could start with the country extention agent. They know the route for you to get certified. I don't think you could get what you need on the net. Granted--a lot of info out there on particular plants, disease, pest, and herbicides, but there are lots of conditions like soil type, amount of moisture, terrain (runoff), care of chemicals and on and on that pretains to your area. Call him/her and let them direct you.
    Those companies train (brainwash) their people for their products. To them there are no other solutions....Take fertlizer--you can mix your own dependent on the soil analysis needs and unless they have a certain blend in their products most couldn't recommend how to adjust it.
  5. Snapnek

Snapnek LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput. I still don't have any real answers to how to get the training needed to be a certified applicator. I found a class at Georgia Univ. that can be taken online, however it takes 12 - 18 months to complete. I know there has to be another way to get the training needed. Any help would be great.
  6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I agree that the best thing you can do it train them 'on the job' but as for basic training.. use the books, and trial questions that go along with registration in your state. you might do a lecture on each segment.. give them some reading material. Quiz them.. then at the end, a big fat test!
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I know for a fact Purdue University has an on line turf grass course. I am not sure of all the details, but it might be more about Cool season turf.

I also seem to remember Georgia offering some kind of Turf grass Course with a diploma or certification. Which university it was I can not remember. Maybe someone else can answer that better for you.

LSU is a Land Grant University and A&M college, But I believe they are not strong on Turf. They are leaders in Animal husbandry and do a lot of Aquatic research. Sugar Cane and Rice which both belong to the grass family is another area they do a lot of research in.

Texas A&M works closely with U of Florida on Turf grass. Both of these schools have On line programs and I in fact got many of my college credits from on line courses from U of Florida.
  8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Lawn Doctor dealer and our franchise produces tapes and study material for us to use. We also have field reps who come out and train new dealers. We take classes every year and we have access to a wide range of resources, including our own agronomists who design programs, test products and work with our suppliers. This is one of the many benefits of buying into any franchise - they fill in the gaps for you.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this business think it's perfectly acceptable to learn as you go without any base instruction. Think about this for a minute - would you hire someone to install carpeting in your house for instance, if they had never done it before?

The best bet for someone who wants to get started in this business is to either work for an experienced applicator for a while or pay an experienced applicator to teach them. I've read a lot of threads on this site and the thing that strikes me most is hard it is to thoroughly learn a subject when you don't know the full extent of the subject or what questions to ask.