Applicators : Do you & your people (really) blow fert off drives and sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Marcos, Mar 22, 2008.

?

Do you as a fert. operator, know whether or not your cust's driveways, etc are blown?

Poll closed May 21, 2008.
  1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Don't care

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Applicators...
    BE HONEST now !

:rolleyes:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Almost always, I will be honest there have been times we havent and I see the stains a few weeks later. Ive heard of people really flipping out about it, but never encountered that myself. I think it is more of a professionalism thing. I can tell you that a few other guys around here do, but the bigger corp applicators usually dont. Heck theres been a few times Ive cleaned up their granular spills in front of my accounts.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We don't use any granular fertilizers which stain, so we don't. We use chest/belly spreaders which give us very good control, we really don't get much on the walks and drives. Every once in a blue moon, (3 times since 1990) we'll have someone throw a fit, afraid that we will stain the concrete. We just explain that we don't use staining products.

We have one or 2 clients with pools, and we will blow the fert off for a small fee.

Takes as long to blow as to fert.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm an "almost always" too. Though I mow mainly I do have about 65 fertilizing customers. There's just times that I either don't have time to get it all or it just isn't going to really hurt anything where it's at. I try my best to keep as much as I can off. I get more product on the pavement with the first 2 rounds because of trying to get the pre-em tight to the edges. Blowing off is a must then...

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

absolutely, and all of it

6. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

almost always blow every impervious surface, required by law to do so. Although I do leave a little on the surface. I have run into the problem in the past where if I blow the property off then I get questioned if I even did the app.

"Are you sure he was out because I didn't see any fert?"

7. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

3 that don't care? I just want your money? Wow. No fert left on the customers walks. I don't care if you do have to get a thousand done that day

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I think that leaving a little fert on the pavement so that the customer will "know that you've been there" is an absolute cop-out !!!

First of all, the customers have to be made aware that, in most locales, it's illegal to leave fertilizer prills on any imperviable surface adjacent to turf, regardless of whether the material "stains" the concrete or not.

The primary goal of these laws was to reduce "non-point" source pollution flowing into the sewers from residential areas. The secondary goal was to appease the homeowners who were afraid for their barefoot kids running up and down the sidewalks, and being exposed to pesticides being strewn about the surfaces, and later having his/her feet peeling (or whatever) as a result.

Secondly, if one of the major building blocks towards having a successful business isn't about professionalism and being thorough in your work, then how else do you build your business' reputation, and become successful ???

And finally, "evidence" that a lawn was treated (or not) certainly should be able to be seen in the results....or else the "paper hanging" applicator is dooming his own future! :nono:

9. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

guess you never had that phone call before.
    what if it is a new customer that calls and you and i both know fertilizer does not provide results in a day like weed control does.
    I am fully aware of the laws and have been for quite some time.
    I guess by your comments i should fold up and start a glass making business where i could pound sand all day long, just don't spill because phosphorus might go into the drains.

10. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I do my best to keep fert off of hard surfaces, but I always use a blower to clean off any fertilizer that does make it's way on sidewalks, drives, etc.