1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Applicators License

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by darthbader, Apr 2, 2007.

1. darthbader

darthbader LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me if you need a license to apply fertlizer or weed control to lawns? I am new to the business and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before getting myself in trouble.

I am in Pennsylvania.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If you have a local co-operative extension office, they can help you also. Short answer is, yes, you probably need a license if you apply to another persons property for money.

Here, in NC, fines can approach $2000 per violation if not properly certified and licensed.
  3. darthbader

darthbader LawnSite Member

Thanks! I sent them an e-mail. My nephew started a moving company without knowing all he needed.. boy! did he learn quick..lol..

Just trying to make sure I don't go down that road..
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

In PA, you need to pass certain tests to get the certification. After initial certification, you need to continue to take courses to maintain your certification. The course work may be every year, or less frequent.

You may find the timing for lawn work out of sequence. I think most of the courses are offered in the off-season, when lawn work is in down-time. The state may offer the courses throughout the year, but perhaps those in our industry primarily take them during the Winter so as not to conflict with work. Often the continuing courses are offered as part of other events, such as conferences, or by a company selling products.
  5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

6. unior

unior LawnSite Member

Am I aloud to applicate before I get my license in the mail? I am in pennsylvania also? I was told I passed my test but I don't have the card yet? Can I get fined?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no licensing required in Pa.? Here, certification is one thing,..and licensing is something completely different.
  8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I dont believe you can apply until you receive your license. You will need your license number for proper application documentation.
  9. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare LawnSite Member

To answer some questions. Yes you do need to have your license in your hand before going out to apply any pesticides. Then you will also need proof of insurance, and your BU# placed on your vehicle 3" high within 30 day's of receiving your license. As far as fertilizing goes, you can put all the straight fertilizer you want down on any lawn, but you cannot apply anything mixed with herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.

Hope this helps!