applied granular twice in 3 days on same yard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

This yard was struggling. Gets watered daily but not fo a long time. Question is I applied 34-0-11 with iron twice in a 3 day time period hoping to geen it up and get it healthier. I know this wasn't the smartest thing to do more doesn't always mean better. Anyway most of the yard in shaded areas is growing well and good color. The front that takes the sun is getting some burnt spots. I know granulars bun if done in extreme amounts such as dumping a pile on the turf but would two apps with the rotary do this kind of damage or is the irigation just not keeping up with our extreme dry weather. The soil in these areas was dry. Thanx again this site rocks.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is a lot of fert and a lot of N. I think you might have overdone it a little.

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How much did you put down per K?

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

What rate did you put it down at?

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

something tells me he poured it on

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

he should probably start pouring the water on too

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Frequent short waterings on established lawns make for shallow roots. Thats your first problem. Assuming it was applied at 4lbs / K which it probably wasnt, than you just applied 68 % of your lawns required n in one shot. I would water that thing like crazy to force that stuff down, but not enough to get runoff off site. Let it dry and repeat. Oh and if it lives you minus well ask if you can stay with them cause you are gonna be mowing that thing 2-3 times a week.

8. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

yes bonehead move u live and learn. The rate each time was just shy of 1 pound of N per 1,000. The thing that I dont get is most of the yard is fine except the areas that take the hit from the sun all day.

9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious about your rationale. And your math.

All that's left is to apply two doses of triple-super-phosphate, and you'll be done fertilizing there for the next couple of years.

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Always read and follow the label. Now, water, water, water!!!:hammerhead: