Applying 2-4-D

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Stan MI, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

From my previous post thanks for the help with the sprayer. I am going to get a 40 gal from TSC. Not the best one I saw but it fit the budget and seems solid.

Now for application.

I would like to apply 2-4-D with Amine (hope I spelled that right) to kill dandys and other weeds. I have always used 2.5 gal of weed killer to 195 gals water (200 gal sprayer) and spread that over about 3.5 acres. Doing this twice does the whole yard.

Question.

Is that a correct mix for the size yard. I know there are other variables such as spray tip, application speed, etc.... But am I close enough to a correct mix with the 2.5 to 195 mix, or am I needing something else.

My results so far are not bad but I know they could be better. From reading the posts here because of how this is drawn down to the root of the plant this is not a chemical where more is better and less is OK. Just looking for a good mix.

Thanks in advance.

2. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

I can't speak form experience, as I've only used a hand-sprayer for the occasional weed in the yard. But the brand that I use says that the amount of dilution doesn't matter. They just give a recommended application rate for the herbicide (I believe 1 pint per acre is all they suggest) and tell you to dilute with as much water is necessary to spray out that rate of herbicide.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

1 oz to 2 oz to 1 gallon of water

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hey Stan,
    Turf Doctor is right on the money.1-2 oz per gallon.Personally,I use 2 ozs per gallon.I find that my sprayer will spray 10,000 sq feet at 30psi on 15 gallons.You'll have to calibrate yours.Simply fill with 5 gallons(or 1 gallon even) of water and go to spraying.Then measure the area you sprayed to come up with how many gallons per square foot/at ? psi.Keep in mind how fast your going also.Slowing down will,of course,concentrate more spray to an area.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use a GPS to keep track of my speed. I would spray at least 10 gallons. I just time how much my nozzles spray at my desired pressure.

6. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Is it correct to say then,

80oz 2-4-D to 40gal water to cover 40,000 square feet ?

7. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

WHOA WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the mix stan is using for the size of area. Umm at least up here we only use 32oz per 100gal and 100gal does an acre. Am I way off because it sounds like he is mixing 2.5 gal to 200 gallons of water??????

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.....6 people replied and no one even mentioned "READ THE LABEL"!

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your looking at 1.5oz/gallon.

Take 200gal, multiply by 1.5oz, that equals 300oz.

Since 300 oz is 2.3 gallons, I would say that dumping a 2.5 gallon jug of herbicide into that 200 gallon tank would result in a good mixture.

I have no idea how big of an area needs how much volume of spray, so I'll stay out of that. I am familiar with the 1.5-2oz/gal rate and I believe my math is correct.

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

That is assuming they are spraying at a rate of 1 gallon per 1000'...