1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Applying chemicals in the rain

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lombardi, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen TruGreen doing liquid applications in between downpours. If it stopped raining hard for a few minutes they would run out of the truck and start spraying until it started raining again.
    I called TruGreen after seeing this and they stated that the rain won't affect the application. Is this true? Also, are the people doing the applications trained and really knowledgeable about lawns and what it takes to help them. Thanks
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

All they care about is turning a buck. The only time I will app. in the rain is when I'm applying a grub control like Dylox,and I know they won't water it in. :) ;) :) ED

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

Maybe they add a surfactant that aids in sticking to the plants when wet??? I usually try to apply granular early in the morning when there is dew on the ground to aid in absorption and translocation.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It depends on exactly what they're applying.

Most of their apps are fert/insect with herb injected in their gun as needed. With this combination, rain is very effective.

Rain diminishes broadleaf weed activity, but that is not a concern for most TruGreen customers.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Kent. If they are not applying a product that requires prolonged contact with the turf to be effective (broadleaf control) then rain on fert and/or pre-emergent is just fine.
  6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that applying in the rain is usually not a big problem. What is a problem though is the customer and prospective customer's perception. When ever we have stayed out even in light mists, the phone calls and complaints just aren't worth it. When it starts raining, we pull in.

Austreim Landscaping
  7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we'll only stop if we are having so much rain that puddles become a problem.
    we'll also make note on invoice that homeowner wont need to water in the application due to nature helping out.
    but, yes, we'll get some calls from new customers mostly. just explain its beneficial.