applying fertilizer in the summer heat

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Clear-Cut, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i have a lawn book and it tells you all about lawn maintenance...but i when i got to the fertilizing section i kinda got confused..

it says to put down a fertilizer with insect control in july or august (this is for cool-season grasses..im in nj)

but then it goes and says "dont apply fertilizer if the temperature is above 90'F"..which makes a lot of sense because that could really do some damage..

anyway...idk if a lot of you hae ever been to jersey in july or august...but we would be lucky if we ever got a day below 90!

so how do you go about applying the sumemrguard fert in the summer time where the heat is almost always above 90? if its applied correctly would the grass be okay?

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you really have to app fert in July and August, try to time it with a good rainfall and don't use a heavy N product.

3. Clear-Cut

its not that i have to (unless i notice a lot of insect activity like the moths flying up when your cutting the grass)

i was just wondering what you would do in that situation...because if i HAVE to i dont want to burn the grass up when it is already mostly dry

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I don't app ferts in July-August. I do mostly liquid apps and apply fert several times a year, but not in the high stress months. For grubs, I use granular Dylox by itself in Sept. With the DEP cancelling all the registrations, its the only thing left that I find suitable. I don't like using residual products because if you have excessive watering or natural irrigation, it can flush the app from the target zone.

5. Clear-Cut

got ya..

anyone else?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to apply any type of pesticide, and that is IF you have to, it is not necessary to apply a combination product with a fert. carrier. The control product alone can be applied.

7. Chaltu237

Chaltu237 LawnSite Member

JM,
    What are your target pests? Are you applying for chinch bugs or other surface feeding insects or are you after grubs?? If you are applying for chinch or surface insects, spot (zone) treat with liquid talstar one or broad cast with same or talstar/fert combo granular product... I usually start worrying about that stuff in June depending on the temps and I am up here in Maine. If grubs are the target, then you may apply merit or merit/fert combo (slow release formula) as a preventative in July (must be early enought to catch them as they hatch) or dylox as a curative as they appear (with or without fert, liquid or granular)... bear in mind that most of these products require at least 1/4" of watering in to be effective... (the liquid talstar for a curative ap does not need watering in)... hope this helps....

8. Chaltu237

Chaltu237 LawnSite Member

If your only goal is to fertalize and the heat worries you, use a high end, slow release product or a good quality organic/synthetic blend with only slow release for the synthetic... go with a lower nitrogen rate, as much k as you can afford, stick to no more than 1/2 lb N per 1000sf in non-irrigated lawns, if lawns are irrigated you can up the rate a little but beware of too much water soluble N in the mix. If you have lush green irrigated lawns in that heat, and you may have some customers like that who spend top dollar to keep their lawns like that, then you shouldnt worry as much about it... you are unlikely to hurt the lawn as long as you use a good quality product... lawns suffering heat/drought stress you have to be more careful with...

9. Clear-Cut

thanks runner and chaltu...i think i have all the info i need