1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Applying Ironite on Fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

The property is my parents, when dad got down I took over doing the yard and started doing the landscaping and got alot of what he couldn't do started. Mom, always used to living in a country club estate but now retired and both on a fixed income well, couldn't afford it on SS and retirements so I help out.

Prior to them buying the home it was on a wooded lot, doubt it ever seen any fertilizer. After dad got the tree's cut and some grass sowed, still no fertilizer so it wasn't till 2006 I started, little by little I learned and even then, took 5 years just to get the soil amendments to what they should be but now I have everything under control, just testing different theories each season to see what will minimize the brown patch without buying fungicides as often.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

About iron. I tested iron sulfate in 4 spots around me. But then it snowed. So no results visible. However I am raising some more grass in plastic pots inside. I plan to test iron at label rate, 3 times and 6 times. Stay tuned.
  3. kirk1701

That should be intersting, keep us posted. :drinkup:
  4. kirk1701

Hey guys just a update..

Heading into brownpatch season, applied clearys a couple days ago but unlike previous years "NO LEAF SPOTS" all spring. Now, its wet and humid and not even a sign of fungus and think it had a lot to do with no nitrogen in the spring.

And yu know, the yard grew just as much as it did last year with Nitrogen on it, mowing once a week on average.

Hope I don't jinx myself now "knock on wood"
  5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You mean Nitrogen Phosphorus and Potassium
  6. The Skeeter Defeater

The Skeeter Defeater LawnSite Member

sulfur? potassium