appointment day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlenic, Sep 2, 2003.

1. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I’m looking at getting into the lawn care biz, and your forum is great. One issue that has come up with my son is, when you have a contract for mowing every two (2) weeks, how close do you keep your appointment day? Within one to two days, a week, what? Another is could someone tell me what the acronyms you use stand for. Thanks, Littlenic

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

May I offer my opinion

Do not entertain every other week mowing.

There will be to much grass to cut in the spring and when it rains. If it rains the day you are to go, what will you do? go the next day, what if the next day you have a full schedule trying to complete the weekly you missed due to the rain and those for that day. It is a scheduling nightmare.

Weekly you know what your doing every week and is easier to schedule when making up time lost.

I am sure others here will elaborate further.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

For me,if they only want it done every two weeks it's plus or minus two days.When it is convenient.
    Only have two.

4. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

You should explain to your customers that it's not a good idea to cut off more than a 1/4 of the growth. They're right, you've got a lot to deal with if it rains. It could also possibly mess up your schedule like Glan said.

I would charge a mow and a half for every two weeks to make up for the lost business, and the extra work invovled.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

From my experience, very few lawns need every other week mowing. Most lawns grow enough to cut weekly, and you end up cutting a mess if you cut only every two weeks. Those lawns that do only need mowing every other week aren't worth the hassel they provide, and you are better off with just weekly people.

I have a few every other week mows, only because they are veteran customers and/or they live close to weekly customers. Next year, they go weekly or not at all.

Good luck.

:D

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will mow bi-weeklys if my schedule is not full. Once my schedule is full.....I will slowy weed out the bi-weeklys. For some lawns it is a PITA, for others it's not such a big deal.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Since you are just starting out you may need to take on bi-weekly mowing but I would not. It is stressful on the grass, tough on you and your equipment and does not get your company name out there in a favorable light. Only you can decide if this is right for you. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Littlenic,

Here is a thread that explores bi-weekly service more.