1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by the.guru, Jun 24, 2005.

1. the.guru

the.guru LawnSite Member

I would like to know what my bobcat is worth if any one doesn't mind giving a minute.

-I own a 2003 Bobcat #863
    -811 Backhoe attachment
    -Extra 24" Bucket attachment
    I have logged a total of 120 hours and equipment is in mint condition. I would like to get a rough idea of what everything togteher is possibly worth,Any help is appreciated

Thank you,
  2. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

What type of options does the skid steer have? Heated cab, air conditioning, high flow hydraulics, power Bobtach, what type of controls, advance control kit, etc...? What size and type of bucket is on the skid steer?

It would be hard to give you an estimate because some of the options I mentioned give thousands of dollars of resale value. A fully equipped machine can bring top dollar. Also what area are you located in? For some reason, I have seen machines in Iowa and Florida going for dirt cheap.

You also stated an extra 24" bucket for the 811, what is the mounted on the backhoe now?
  3. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

Sorry, I see Delaware in your signature now.
  4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

The questions TerraFirma posted are valid questions... if all you say is true, however, I would guess about $30,000 is possible given the appropriate buyer. I am assuming you purchased the 863 new?

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Low hours or not you still have a 3 year old machine that would be sold through private party not a dealer. What I am getting at is finance. Unless someone has the potential 30K in hand, and is willing to spend it, you will be sitting on the machine a long time. Better way to go about it....Find a Bobcat dealer close to you, and allow them to sell it on consignment. Sure they will take 10% for their efforts, but, since they can offer finance for what they sell, they will get the job done faster with less BS.

The old ratio for late model (1-3 year old) used equipment from Caterpillar was 80-90% of the new selling price. Other brands the ratio was between 65-80%. With current changes in the market, those ratios have spread apart even further because there is an influx of cheaply made start up type compact equipment and tractors added to the equation. That's one of the things I absolutly hate about numerical studies, they are very flawed and very slanted, depending on what result the creator wants to see.

Back to the subject....The dealer can also help you with pricing. Personally, I think 30K is a bit steep. And though items like Quicktach and air will add a small amount of value, in the used market they will add pennies on the dollar. Controls are a preference thing, and where one style might attract a porential buyer from one market, another will attract a completley different buyer. I've seen year old equipment with similar hours go for less, depending on market and need.

May I ask, why you are selling? Are you going bigger or getting out altogether? Going bigger you might just as well be better off to trade, eat the upside down loan and make your money back off the new machine by moving forward. I ended up having to do that with a Komatsu years ago. Sometimes that is best. Getting out ads a whole new perspective. Depending on how fast you need to sell, you have the option of being able to make those decisions. If you don't need to money and you market the machine right, you can hold out until someone comes along who will buy it at your price....
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

With out seeing or knowing all the options 22-25k
  7. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

the.guru - I live in North Wilmington and I may be interested in your Bobcat. PM me and I will call you. Staying busy? This year has been crazy!

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

He can't p.m. you...he only has 1 for a post count. Try to get ahold of him thru email or this forum. He will probably be coming back time to time to check this post.
  9. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member