Appreciate your input

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Manscape, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Manscape

Manscape LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how you do bed jobs...(creating beds where there is nothing.) Iv'e done a few small bed jobs and it's pretty time consuming and labor intensive doing it "old school" (old school-Shovels and hand edgers, because I don't have any other large equipment "bed edgers" "small loader" etc.)

I am planning eventually on investing in a bed edger and some larger equipment which will aid me but until then im SOL. The roughest part of how I do my beds is not necessarily the digging, but loading the debris into my dump truck which sits over 4ft off the ground. Dump trailer may be a little easier?

Any ideas are appreciated.

(At some houses I am able to use my metal ramp up to the dump which helps a little but all-in-all still too time consuming and produces too much sweat.

2. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend renting a walkbehind tractor like a Bobcat MT52 for the day, you can load all your debris with it and put all new materials in with it in a short period these little machines do the work of 6 men, its well worth the $100-$150 rent for the day, and they don't talk back or need smoke breaks, as far as the edging doing it by hand is not that bad unless you have alot to do, you can also rent a nice bed edging machine for $40-$75 for day and some places rent for 1/2 a day

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Before I had a tractor, I would use my trailer and a set of ramps.

Keep the trailer attached to the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrow up the trailer ramp onto the trailer. Now you are 1/2 way up. Set ramps from the front of the trailer to the back of the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrows up the ramps to get from the trailer up to the truck.

I use 2-wheel wheelbarrows. Two half loaded wheelbarrows is much more pleasant than one very full wheelbarrow.

Still a lot of work, but less work.

ramp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. openbook

openbook LawnSite Member

I've never had a problem running a wheelbarrow up a ramp into a dump truck. I would rather use wheel barrows than a machine where I could possibly damage the turf and would have to add re-sodding to the bed job.

5. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

What about adding to the existing truck gate? Like a folding extension or something to that effect, or is it to much of a distance to cover? Just a thought.

Note: I am refereeing to hackitdowns post.

6. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

i dont know about anyone else but hackitdown does some great illistrations.

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You should see the one I did of your mother.

8. head_start

is it that good too? haha

9. head_start

on a more honest note, i like hackitdowns idea, and the picture was helpful. he should do it again haha

10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Bed edgers help a lot, sod cutters can work if you know what you are doing, and a rototiller would be nice too. However, these things all add costs, so unless it is a big job, it may not be worth renting them all.