Approached by hispanics

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bearcatlawn, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

We were approached by 2 hispanics at a parts store who were looking for jobs. We have never hired hispanics before but we are hiring for the upcoming season. I told them they would need to fill out an application and they said they had lost their application. I said no, I need you to fill out an employment application. Here's my question, do you think they are illegal or just misunderstood me. How do you go about checking green cards and things like that? I am supposed to drop an application off to them today. Any input would be great.
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Guess you'll be able to figure out whether or not they're legal as soon as they fill out the employment forms. A lot of local lawn and landscape companies go to the appt. buildings around Church Hill Downs looking for hispanic or not...doesn't matter. They pay them $10-$13/hr under the table and don't ask questions. I can't say that I blame companies for doing it. Hispanics, in general, aren't a bunch of lazy whiners and will out-work any of our other options.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Just be careful when the job is done. Your 8 hours at 10/hr will become 100 and they'll complain till they get it. "I worka hard", "many grass to mow." I tell them ok. But now I have to take out Taxes and report your earnings to the IRS, so you pick...

Usually a quick decision for them.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

be carefull
  5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

$10-$13 an hour? Are you for real?
  6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

There's a form called an I-9 that you should have on file for all your employees. The form describes the documents you need to ask for to properly ID legal employees.....
  7. mkjsunscapes

mkjsunscapes LawnSite Member

Just curious, did you think $10-$13 hour was to high or to low when you asked if he was for real?
  8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, You need them to fill out a I-9 form. It will have all of the information on what ID's will work. You need to fill out most of the I-9 form yourself, and get a copy of the Id's they give you.

If they don't have it, they are probably illegal.

But all employees are required to fill out form I-9 and W4 when you hire them.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

He thought it was to high.payup
  10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct,and every employer should have those forms availiable and on file,they are mandatory.And it is the employers responsibility to keep the forms on file.