Approaches to pricing machine bed edging?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Feb 13, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Usually I price this work by simply looking at the job and estimating the man hours required and then applying my hourly landscaping rate...it has worked pretty well but in order to make sure I am competitive and yet am charging a good rate, I was thinking about going to a per foot rate as many of you do.

In doing a little research here some say use a rate between 50 and 75 cents per foot.
    1. Is that fee still a good industry benchmark?
    2. If you have a small edging job, do you use more of an hourly estimate given your time to get there load/unload?
    3.How would you price the folllowing examples: (these are existing beds that need re-edged using the Brown bed edger)

1000 ft

100ft

thanks guys

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

GarPA, I'm going to assume for your numbered items that that is the only thing you're doing on that project (no plantings, hardsapes, etc).

1. $1/foot
    2. Yes - I take that into consideration.
    3. item #1 - $500. item #2 - I wouldn't touch.

3. GarPA

from PA

Stonehenge...yes this would be re-edge only...many clients then want to do their own mulch...fine by me... i thought maybe the old benhmark of 50 to 75 cents per foot might be getting a little outdated...thanks for your perspective

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gar

I think that old benchmark of 50 to 75 cents per foot was an additional charge when you were supplying the mulch as well. At least that's how we've done it in the past.

BTW, I've had customers that wanted to spread the mulch by themselves as well. I tell them to go for it, they ain't gonna hurt my feelings.:D

5. GarPA

from PA

Rod...so if I' reading between the lines right, you also agree that a buck a foot is a reasonable benchmark to use if only doing re-edging?...thanks

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Sometimes on large mulching jobs, I'll throw it in at no additional charge. But, I make sure they understand that this is usually not free.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto bob

8. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

Are you charging $1 a foot using a beding edger, or manual labor?

9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Machine. Does a better job, faster.

10. GarPA

from PA

i cant for Stonehenge but i assume his numbers are based on using the machine...i wont ever again do it by hand...takes way too long because of clumps of edges that have to be picked up, hauled, and dumped....I wont do it that way regardless of what I could charge for it...correction, i do it by hand around trees...even with the new Brown edger that supposedly can go in circles, i dont like the job it does...almost always had to do it by hand after using the machine on tree rings......sorry... i was typing when he was typing so i didnt see his answer