Approaching customers with contracts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowe Mowing, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

I currently have 50 plus residential accounts that I have been doing for over 4 years. I was wondering how so I approach my customers with contracts. I am not sure if they will freak out or what and I want to get them on contracts for legal reasons. How do I approach them? Do i send them a contract in the mail explaining what I am doing or what. Please put your proffesional input in because I need it pretty bad.

Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Have been wondering the same thing as i will probably be introducing them this year as well.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just tell them that you have finally decided to stop being a lawnboy and have decide to become a Professional LCO... :laugh:

Seriously you may somehow work in that since you weren't 18 when you started that you couldn't legally sign a binding contract in any state until you were at least 18 and now that you are older and have a full fledged business you need signed contracts for both yours and the clients protection.

4. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

In my opinion, if your contracts are to extensive, filled with clauses, surcharges and late fees toped off with a bunch of rules and regulations then expect to loss 50% of them

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mike
    That is some good advise...I also see it being a benefit for both parties.Around here people only want contracts for snow plowing and not the landscaping end...What I do it give out a copy of what I call my company policy's explaining all of our terms and conditions...kind of like an agreement.It has held up in court several times when I needed it to,but I am thinking of changing it to a complete contract.

6. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

i like the term AGREEMENT it sounds better then CONTRACT!!! i too am moving to this point of my business and doing the same thing! i will use the word AGREEMENT as a header on my forms!

7. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

well you could make them sign the contracts and put in something in the contract that says if they happen to be unhappy or want to discontine service they are free to do as long as they give you atleast a 14day notice, and there account is paid up-to date they could cancel, bc thats wut every customer worries about being stuck in something they dont like or want anymore thats y i give the option to cancel. i know it seems crazy but with my experience everytime a customer cancels another person signs up for service

8. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I perfer using the word Service Agreement , rather than using contract. When people here Contract sometimes they just would rather not sign. I have found people dont question me why I need a service agreement( I dont work with out one) but if I say contract they arent as willing.

9. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

I have to say you guys are helping me today, service agreement will work for me! i will use that term!

10. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

I think i like the service agreement better than contract also. Would anyone be so willing in providing us an example of a service agreement in this thread or something alike.