Approaching new customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We kick grass, Feb 11, 2002.

1. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

We are new here on the site. But I have read a lot of good imput on here and needed some help. What types of things are you doing to get new clients? I have found the yellowpages to not be that much help. We have started, let say knocking doors trying to meet new customers and expose ourselves more to the public. References are always great but I don't think a business should solely bank on that aspect of building a strong client base. Any great ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Referrals from your existing customers will cost you the least, pay you the most, and end up being the most loyal.

Something to ponder...

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 110% with thelawnguy. Referrals have always worked the best for us. And don't be afraid to ask for them. I think most customers like being asked for a referral. It demonstrates you respect their input and help to grow and succeed.

If you ask them in a friendly and professional manner, it shows how much they mean to you and your business. It's almost like asking them for "advice". You can't go wrong.

4. Turf King

Turf King LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks

Doorhanger's have worked real well for us, referrals just take so long to build a strong biz. Last year we put a larger yellow page ad in the book and the year before that it was just a 2''x2'' ad and the difference was night and day. Try local papers they work well to.

5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Were you able to equate that to a cost per customer? Ad cost $X got y customers = $z per customer?

Thank you

Jeff

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The way i see it, if your customers are good honest people, word of mouth will get out, and chances are, their friends are like them, so if they're good, friends are good and everyone likes good customers... i mow for my elderly neighbors and they tell me how they tell everyone they know how good I do, how dependable I am etc... now i'm not bragging :D , but I'm just saying that is what they tell me, and they're the best people you could ask for and I know their friends and family are good too and they can see my work there also. I don't have anyone else to mow for yet but i'm just now getting a trailer ( 4x8 w/12" tires, we're going to make it 5' wide, so it'll be 5x8) so hopefully then i'll get some. I am homeschooled (14 yrs old), and for $1.25 I can get a small ad in the monthly homeschool assoc. newsletter. I am going to do that. There's about 89 families right now in it, but most are the tighter kind of people so it will mostly be fill in work there probly, unless they tell someone, but for $1.25 i can't lose... (i'm going to be a lower cost person anyhow) so we'll see how it works. I'll let you know. You might find organizations like that to advertise at. Another possibility is putting cards up at stores, gas stations, and sometimes churches have a board for it. I don't think that's the best place but can't hurt. Just some ideas.
    Eric

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

word of mouth is awesome, free and easy, sometimes maybe offer a discount to the customer for each new customer he refers. i think door hangers work great, all advertising is good, but those two are the best in my opinion

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i like using flyers. you get to target the lawns youd like to maintain, and weed out the ones you dont. you can aim towards what neighborhoods you want to get customers in. i have been toying with the idea of offering a discount or a free mowing, if one of my customers refers me to somebody else and they sign up for service. anybody had any luck with that sort of thing?

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

hey all i all so have to agree that the word of mouth is the best way to go i know IM not living off of what i do, beaing 15 years old and all but i have a nice set of clients that have expanded for cutting one lawn back when i was 9 years old with the old reel mower but anyway it all started with that what dose eevry one think on that free mowing everytime you get a referal from someone