approaching someone to buy them out

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, May 30, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

how would you go about approaching someone to buy there company?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would wait to be approached, unless you just so happen to know they're selling, because if some fool approached me out of the blue and asked me that question ... But if you know they're selling, just go up and say hi and you might be interested.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would use a third party such as an A & D firm.
  4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

wats a ad firm
  5. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would call them up and explain to them who you are and what you do. Then let them know if they if they are ever interested in selling their business, you would like to talk to them. Whatever you do, keep any and all brokers out of the deal or you will not get the deal done at a fair price.
  6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

One of two ways: send a letter stating your interests in buying out their assets and accounts

Pay them a visit, make some idle chatter and throw out a feeler.
  7. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

If you are thinking this far you obviouslly have seen someones company that you like. Let them know you admire what they have done and if they ever are looking to get out of the business and want their accounts to be taken care of the way they do to contact you..k bye
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Acquistion & Diversture firm...3rd party who helps others either find and buy a company or sell their business based for a % of gross sales usually or for a flat fee.
  9. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't imagine someone who would be interested in buying accounts to approach it like that, but maybe. I also can't imagine walking up with a proposal and now knowing whether they're looking to get out of the business. I'ld be careful and play it smooth. He may be looking to make a deal on some far out clients or equipment or whatever. Get to know him first and talk once or twice before even bringing it up.
  10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If the people do not want to sell, just go for a hostile takeover.:laugh: