1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Approx. how long for 22 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Jan 17, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Approximately how long do you guy's think it would take to mow 22 acres at a height of 4-4.5"? The equipment would be a 52" WB with sulkey and a 60" Hustler Z (not Super Z). It is all flat as a pancake and very little trimming (15 min. to trim max). Thanks in advance!!
  2. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

8 hours. I would think you could cut close to 3 acres/hour.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my guess would be +/- 2.5 acres per hour on the WB and +/- 5 acres per hour on the Hustler Z. So that would mean about 3 hours cutting time with both running. plus set up, plus load and unload time, so call it 4 hours total time.

I don't know the speed on your WB or the Hustler, but I am basing it on JD and Gravely equipment I have used. Time of year matters too. Late spring might be 5 hours and the last mow of the year might be 2 hours.
  4. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

with almost the same set up it takes me about 2.5 hrs + or - a little 2 do 8 acres so i would say about 6 hrs but like every thing else, if u do a search u could get real production #s by the way i have all ex mark equipment. good luck
  5. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

To cut 5 arcres/hr that machine would have to be doing 9mph. Is that possible?
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I average about 35 minutes per acre on my Hustler Z 23/52. That's on a 1 acre lawn with obstacles to mow around. I could probably cut that to 30 minutes if I went a bit faster, but I don't like the pounding your body takes when mowing at high speeds.

Based on 30 minutes per acre with a 52 inch Z it would take 11 hours. With the 2 mowers that you described I would think it would take 5-6 hours.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my gravely will do 13 mph. It will cut at 8 easy if the yard is flat and maintained and not at peak growth. 27HP is a great thing.

Gravely, dixie chopper, and a few other manufacturers have productivity charts for their mowers and or mowers by width of cut. Reduce those numbers by 25% and you should be in the ball park.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

With limited obstacles and a higher cutting height at 4.5", you should be able to cut that in around 4-4.5 hours with both mowers
  9. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

It is always nice to have good equipment. Equipment makes money, buy the best you can afford at the time.
  10. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I mow one 22 acre soccer field that looks real flat but about half of it will jar your teeth out at to high a speed. It averages 3 hrs. with 2 Toro 27/62 Z turns. Like I said, at times you can mow flat out but then you have to slow down because it gets so rough. I would think that with the equipment that you describe it would take you a bit longer.