Apps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TTM42, Jun 5, 2014.

1. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I was browsing the App store the other day and was disappointed in the lack of apps that relate to our industry. I was wondering what kind of apps you guys think is needed and what kind of apps would you actually buy?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

For Android phones I highly reccomend "Instant Radar". It's free and works extremely well.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I have "Rainy Days" on mine, but I'll look into the one you mentioned.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Bump for more apps?

Just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it's smokin' hot compared to my old SII and I want to add some good, useful apps.

As for weather, I only have Rainy Days and WeatherBug at the moment.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I don't use my stupid phone for work much anymore.

6. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

For those with far reaching routes, the Waze traffic app is really handy. You get real time traffic and road condition reports from actual Waze users. Not necessarily lawn care related, but very useful. Oh yeah, it's also free.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about this very same thing many times. The only app I have ever come up with that I would pay good money for is if they had one where you could take a photo of a leaf on a tree, shrub or weed and then the app would ID that plant for you. That would be freaking AWESOME! Would probably be way to costly to produce. But I'd pay big money for an app like that, if it actually worked.

I'm good with plant ID. But here in Oregon we have literally thousands and thousands of plants, trees, perennials, etc. that will grow here. It's impossible to know them all - even if you're a nurseryman. Even after 18 years of doing this I still see a plant or tree every week that I've never seen before. That app would be awesome!

8. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

i use one called Harvest Landscape Calculator for mulch, i enter the square footage and i can choose how deep i want the mulch, and it tells me how much mulch i require for the job, works for soil and aggregates too. gives me options for cu yards, or different sized bags (1,2,3 cu ft)

i just downloaded one from Bayer to identify weeds, pests, and diseases. havent used it yet though

9. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Only apps I use for work are the University of Arkansas Ag Dept Horticulture Plants app on App Store, which works ok for determining what some plants are. Also, iScape which is a $10 app but you can take a pic of the property and "draw" the landscape on it by layering whatever plants, groundcover, trees, mulch, etc that you want. Finally, the trusty old iPhone calculator.

I don't have a weather app other than the one that comes on the iPhone. I just use weather.gov (NOAA) as their radar is far superior to any others that I've seen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't care for Instant Radar because you can't move the maps around. It zooms in and out on your current location only. I use Accuweather and wait the 5 seconds for it to load.

I'm trying an app called TripLog GPS for my vehicle mileage.