1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Branching Out, May 15, 2006.

1. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys and gals are doing when you install aprons in existing driveways? Are you cementing in the edge stones and then setting the field in a sand bed, and tamping them in? Or, are you using an edge restraint system in aprons like you would on a patio or driveway? Do any of you cement the field in too?

Any and all ideas appreciated. I like to see what others are doing. At this time we mortar edges set the field in sand and tamp.

Branching Out
  2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the weather.

If its cold outside, I'll wear a t-shirt and boxer briefs under my apron, along with work boots, for safety purposes. As the weather warms up, I typically don't wear anything under my apron, as it feels too constricting in the sweltering humidity. And yes, sometimes a "restraint system" is needed :cool2:

Hope this helps
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

4. Branching Out

Come one guys/ladies....Any help?

5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

We install aprons the same way we install any other paver job. Plastic edge reatraint only, never concrete.
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

7. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Ok, so I'm inexperienced with paver installs. Why is the plastic edging preferred over concrete or mortar? I would assume that it would be because the concrete would be likely to crack during freeze/thaw, etc. Am I right?:confused:
  8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Photo, yes concrete and mortar will crack, anywhere at anytime, the freeze, thaw cycle just accelerates it. For a driveway look into the edging made by Pavetech. http://www.pavetech.com/p_edge/edge.shtm It is designed for heavy duty applications and will remain intact if installed properly. Mortaring edges and using stone dust are carry overs from the masons installing flagstone patios and walks. It is not recommended for use with interlocking concrete pavers. You will have maintenance issues and comebacks will kill your profits.

9. Branching Out

But if you are only doing an apron on an existing driveway, do you use the edge restraint also? Or do you mortar/concrete them in. And what do you do for the field stones?
  10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you putting pavers on top of the existing concrete or removing the concrete and installing a paver apron? Anytime you use pavers, you must use an edge restraint. The exception being a stoop or existing patio, where the caps, bullnose or edge pavers are adhered to the existing surface and the field is set in, sanded or poly sanded and allowed to move. If the edges of the pavers are up against an existing concrete sidewalk, curb or driveway or an asphalt driveway, edging is typically not needed.

For field stone, when it is wet laid, you are mortaring to a concrete pad so the edge restraint is unnecessary. If dry laying field stone, many manufacturers are making a plastic edge restraint that is a much lower profile and suited for the thickness of dry laid fieldstone. Many still use mortar or concrete, but it will crack.