1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

AquaScapes Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Jan 16, 2005.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Is it just me? Or is AquaScapes just WAY WAY overpriced???

I have purchased some training material from them in the past so I always get their monthly magazine (catalog). I was reading through it while I was taking a ....well, nevermind.....and I just started laughing at their prices. All the stuff they sell is like 2-3 times more than what I pay for the same stuff at my local supplier.

I mean, on one hand, I guess they aren't overpriced. Because people are obviously paying the prices they are asking. I know they are a very successful company. But on the other hand, I could never in my right mind pay what they are asking for most of the stuff they sell when I know for a fact I can get comparable stuff elsewhere much cheaper.
  2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Heck yes. I just met the guy who started Aquascapes and left, still holds the patents on them and has his own company called Pond Sweep. We order through John Deere Landscapes and the costs are 20% less for a better product.
  4. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

if not aquascape, then which company are you using?
  5. JimLewis

We get most of our pond stuff from Horizon, which is kind of like a Lesco. They are a irrigation and landscaping superstore. I also understand that John Deer Landscapes has some stuff but I have never shopped there. There are several places like this in the Portland area where I could buy everything needed for a pond or water feature without ever having to buy anything from Aqua$capes.
  6. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

that is a luxury I don't have in rural nw ohio. what brand of pond equipment does this company sell. I've never used anything but aquascape, bu t recently I saw the pond sweep and I like the notion of a bottom drain.
  7. JimLewis

They sell Pond Sweep components, Little Giant Pumps, Firestone pond liner, and some other brands.
  8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Yep , I agree . I like the 20 steps to installing a pond pictures in thier material
    One very important , time consuming , and costly , step is left out ,RUNNING THE ELECTRCITY ! Unless of course thier pumps are solar powered ! They also used to slam some of the pond cleaning devices , until of course they bought a company that sold them , now they are great ! The pondless kit is way high .
  9. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

When I went to Aquascapes build a pond day last year they advised us not run the electric. They said to make sure the homeowner had an extension cord so when you were done they could plug it in to make sure everything was working okay. They said to tell them to hire a electrical contracor or electrician and have them do the wiring, that way the pond builder doesn't have to be bothered with electrical problems down the road, only has to worry about what he installed which is the pond. Same goes with the plantings.
  10. JimLewis

Huh??? ;)

Why would you NOT want to do the plantings?

1) It makes your pond install look that much better.

2) Plantings are a BIG profit maker!!! We buy plants at wholesale (50% of retail cost) then we mark them up 100% plus charge for installation of the plants! A planting job that might cost me $300 in plant materials could easily be $900 to the customer. Why would you pass up that extra profit?

3) Why leave this for someone else to profit on?

I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't want to do a pond unless they let me also do plantings. They just don't look natural otherwise.