1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Arborvitae job bidding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tazman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I am bidding on two different jobs, but they both pertain to trimming arborvitae.

The first has 210 rows of arborvitae around 50-60 feet in length. The rows are between the houses. They want them pruned down to 7 feet in the whole community. They are currently between 8-9 feet in height and 3-4 feet across in depth. Originally I quoted $200 per section earlier in the year, but they only wanted about 10-15 sections down. I think if I stay with the $200 per section price, I will be to high. We have worked in this community the last 5 years. We prune their 1/2 mile of laurel hedge every year.

The second job has about 3-400 sections and it is topping them (6 inches or so) and pruning the sides. This is a new prospect. Since we have not done this before, not sure how long it will take and I don't want to price myself out of a nice job.

Open to any ideas or advice. Thanks
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The 6 inches off the top shouldn't be too difficult, unless there are already those knots near the top, and that would be my concern about the 8-9ft. tall ones... if the loppers are required to do a good job that is a big price hike...

Do you have an idea of how many hours are involved???
    We have one arb hedge that is over 1/4 mile long and that needs to be done at about 7ft. as well... 2 people can do the top in less than a couple of hours, but that is shearing only,,, no loppers...
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I concur with smallaxe
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I only do trimming by the hour since it is always hard to determine how long it will take. It usually takes longer than I always plan on with making sure they have a good shape and all the clean up.