Arborvitae Tips

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by clayslandscape, Mar 12, 2013.

1. dadoorsron

dadoorsron LawnSite Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dadoorsron View Post
    Yes, Pruning these plants would be the right way to go about it 10 years ago. However, at the size they are at now, all you can do is pull them out. Plant a nice hedge that is easily maintained with yearly pruning or use a growth regulator like Paclobutrazol to limit the amount of pruning you need to do for 1-2 seasons.

The arborvitaes in question are NOT hedges... look again...

Hmm, read my statement again. Every word. Check out the bold area for a hint on what I was talking about. That may help.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Replacing 2 individual accent plants, that are framing the entry way ,,, with a hedge... not only is it a waste of plants that are the right size FINALLY but now you're going to redesign the entryway entirely... If a hedge was an improvement in the design then I would think you've got something there,,, but a lowhedge at that entry way is like putting Obama stickers on a Cadillac... :)

3. dadoorsron

dadoorsron LawnSite Member

Yeah, I never seen a hedge going to a front door. It can be a small improvement or a large one. You are in it to make money right? You sell your client on improvements to the property. From the picture, It can use an improvement.

hedge.jpg

4. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Since your customer is looking for options, that's what I'd give them. Be prepared to address several concerns. First, budget? second, determine the goal? Are they looking for upscale? is this an oppurtunity to add accent lighting? While the height of the Arbs works with the height of the building. They appear to be obscuring windows. Could be a security (aka visibility) issue?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You DO continue to get growth from the top... I can't think of any normal plant that would discontinue growing at the top... you get multiple leaders with a broader top, which is a look for those trees that I personally prefer...

Taking those away and replacing them with smaller, especially low growing hedges, just makes the house look out of place... Remember, the landscape COMPLIMENTS the house,,, not the ground... :)