Arborvitaes burned halfway up???????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjcezar, Sep 9, 2008.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

We installed a row of approx 100 pyramadlis arbs. the trees are withered and turning light green and even brown at some spots from the bottom to half way up (pretty much on one side of the row), they are also very thin on the bottom. The tops are lush and green. If you look at the row it is a defined line right across the middle all the way up the row. Right after we planted them one of the large spray companies started spraying them for deer. Its been almost a year now and the trees are really not looking to good. Do you think it could be the spraying (that would be my guess). Also my customer did throw some type of fert he bought at sears on the trees but I am not sure what or how much. ANy comments would be appreciated.

2. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

is there a sprinkler that hits them

4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

no but i know they had a soaker hose for watering

5. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Almost looks like deer grazing.......missing branches, spotty growth, etc etc

6. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

there are no chew marks or torn branches. some of the tips of the foliage are brown. and it really is on one side of the row

7. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Also what is causing the lower half to fade

8. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Was there a fert or herbicide app applied to that lawn recently?

Too much water will cause this as well.

9. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

no the lawn gets no treatments. like I said they do have them sprayed along with other things for deer and maybe other pests. Could it be they are watering too much? Or maybe that unknown fert they through on them? Why would this only affect half the tree though and from bottom to top none the less (not top to bottom).

This is what they looked like when we put them in

PICT0031.JPG

10. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

They appear to have been affected already, in the installation photo. Were they sprayed prior to the photo? This appears to be chemical damage.