1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Arborvite Pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BillyRgn, May 20, 2007.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

So i really think i am losing my mind here, i have always charged at least the price of the tree to plant it, usually double the price of it. i just bid a job to put in 16 arborvitae's about 4-5 feet tall, the price of the tree was around $50, the customer already paid for the trees, all i had to do was pick them up at the nursery and plant them. i was a little slow at the time so i said about $1,300.00 to pick up the already paid for shrubs and plant the 16 of them, well the guy laughed and said the other 2 prices he got were only about 50-60% of the plant for labor, that means those guys are planting 50 dollar shrubs for 25 or 30 bucks? any ideas becuase i have to submit bid today for 42 six to seven foot arborvitae's and have no idea what to charge for labor, i can get the tree's for about $60 a piece.

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of people do teh double the plant thing...I don't it doesn't make sense. What if you buy a $175 jap maple that is in a 3 gallon container...are you going to charge another $175 to plant something that takes 5 minutes to do? I charge by the container size...1 gallon is about $10 for labor (will take me less than a minute to dig the hole, and plant the shrub with a loam,cow manure, and peat moss mixture), 3 gallon is $25 for labor, and so on. Balled and burlapped trees are of course more, it just depends on the size of the ball. I also have a minimum charge...so no customers can just say I want one 1 gallon shrub planted...

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The price all depends on what equipment you will be using. Arborvitae's in the 6-7' range are ball busters with out the proper equipment. With that many to plant you better be mechanized.

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i will be using my yanmar excavator about a 8,000lb machine and also if i really needed it but i doubt it i can use my new holland 170 skid steer

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

anyone out there to offer a little help ??

6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

you should be able to plant 16 4 foot arborvitaes in 3-5 man hours depending on the soil...I would charge $60 to pick up the arborvitaes and $480 to plant them...$540 total. I am assuming these are in containers...it will take a bit longer if they are balled and burlapped (cutting the string etc)...your price of $1300 is about right if it includes the aborvitaes...but you said it doesn't...seems way high to me. That's almost $100 just to plant something that takes 10-15 minutes.

I would charge $90/each for the job with 42 arborvitaes...$3780 that is assuming the trees are no more than $60 including tax....I am in hte midwest though...you should be able to get at least $100 each installed up there...