Architectural Tiles over Concrete Patio (pics)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnVet, Jun 18, 2008.

1. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

So here they are. Promised I'd post when I got the time. Our first time using this type of product over an existing patio. This post shows before.

Before BW LR.jpg

Before BW RL high.jpg

Before BW sag.jpg

2. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

And here are the after shots. Product is Hanson StoneTile Tuscanni. Color is Cappuccino. Very heavy and hard to handle/set but rather rewarding. FYI - we had to prime and use a leveling compound to fix the major sagging in many spots. Took a little longer than I estimated but worth it IMO. Please tell me what you think!

Wet BW.jpg

After BW AC.jpg

After BW RL high1.jpg

After BW LR low1.jpg

3. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't up sell them on either a catch basin or direct piping for their down spout discharge? The time to do it would have been before you lay the tile. The discharge will film over where the water runs, and it will ice over the tiles pretty hard in the winter with melt and re-freeze.

What's up with the lighting? It would feel like "interrogation" at night if you were trying to enjoy the patio! :cry:

I think the tile work looks good.

4. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

that tile looks great imo. i want to do something like that to my dads front porch. The big green drain pipe in that one picture though really is an eye sore. Too bad you couldnt have ran a drain under like he said.

Oh well still looks really good, just hope the drain was the customers idea not to do it instead of just forgetting something like that could/should have been done. Ive been known to get in a hurry and miss some details like that in the past. Working on getting better though

5. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

that looks good. where do you get them at?? and i would think they are cheaper than laying pavers(with the excavation of the old concrete)...is that right??

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

how long before the tiles over the crack pop off?

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hard to tell from the pics but might be able to change the fall on the gutter so could move the down pipe to the end of the house where the grass is.

8. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Green drain pipe was placed to divert rainwater during the curing process. The cust. wants to change the location of the downspout to the end of the house himself. The lighting was existing and he eventually wants to change it but his girlfriend wants to keep it the way it is. They're chepo but aren't too bright- the lights, not (these) customers.

9. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I believe it was a much cheaper route. The tiles themselves are not cheap though. And they are definitely not as easy to handle as pavers. To compare the price I'd say all said and done the materials cost about $400 more (primer, leveling compound, mortar, grout, tiles, etc) than pavers and base. But taking into account the $ saved for concrete removal/excavation, hauling, dump +time, I'd say this route saved them over $2k.

Got them at one of my regular suppliers - anyone that carried Navastone or Perma products may carry Hanson products - Hanson bought them out. Some suppliers won't carry Hanson though. I guess they have a bad rep for cust. service issues or something. I did find two tiles that didn't get colored in one of the pallets, but that isn't too extraordinary. I had no other issues with the product or the service (custom order took about 1 wk to make).