Are all keys the same for equipment??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a Kubota GF 1800 and cannot find the key. I need it in the morning. Can I call a Kubota dealer and get a key? I am asking cuz if I can, I will wait around until the shop opens...otherwise, I'll have to settle for second best.

Thanks.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I can't say for Kubota, but for any other brand I've used, the keys are all the same.

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Kubota keys vary between different models and years but there's not that many and the dealer should have what you need unless maybe it's a really old machine.

My local dealer keeps all the keys in stock......

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

They should be pretty simple. We started a John deere with a small screwdriver this weekend because I couldn't find the keys for it.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's the typical indak key, maybe about a half inch long and a very basic cut pattern, they are the same for most mowers. i know walker uses a different type of key than most.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

kubota has a few different keys for all of their equipment...im sure the dealer has one of all of them...they are not like cars

7. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

The few Kubota's that I have dealt I have been able to use one key for. I have seen a couple different keys though. On my keychain I have 4 keys and with them I can start probably 20 different models of equipment. One key works with JD, Toro, and Ferris. Another works with most Bobcat equipment. A third that works with New Holland equipment. The 4th works with Kubota. I really don't understand why equipment companies don't use different keys like car makers do. Seems like for equipment this expensive, there would be some more protection.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

so guys like me that operate all the equipment our company owns doesnt have to carry 20 different keys around and guess which starts what...instead i have a Cat key, Case key, Volvo key, and a John Deere key....we have padlocks on all our equipment (that use the same masterlock keys as well) that protects the controls on our open station trackloaders or on the backhoes it locks the hood down, at the end of the day i unlock the hood and pull the fuel pump quick-connect...so even if someone gets into the machine they cant start it

so even though i still have to carry around a good bit of keys, its far better then carrying one around for each piece of equipment...Cat however does have something out that is like a car key, the machine can be programed to work on up to 250 keys that only the buyer of the machine can get, so unless you have a bad employee or a employee that quits and doesnt give his keys back you dont have to worry about theft

9. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

DirtDigger, I agree with what you are saying. My family owns 6 GM vehicles (all keyfobs are the same) and it's fun trying to figure out what key goes to what with only that many. It just seems like there would be more differentiation in the keys, or like what Cat does. It worries me when one of my keys will work in my 1970ish John Deere 317 as well as my 2007 Ferris mower.