Are all Stihl fs 85s tempermental?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Oct 5, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been running my new fs85 for about 2 weeks now and it seems to be rather tempermental. First is getting it started. It wont start without at least 4-5 pulls. Then when i edge with it(gas cap side down), if it is under half tank of gas, it will loose power intermitantly and bog down considerably until i turn it back to trimming position. What can i do to make it run ideally? Im ready to turn it into a extended reach hedger and get something else.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have found that with all Stihls, maybe I am the only one, that when they are new they seem to start harder, but once after a little while they start after the first or second pull

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Never had a problem with mine. It's starting a little harder in the colder weather, that's aboot it.

Now my hedge trimmers, that's another story. Don't even get me started on that piece of crap.

:D

4. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

my 85's were used for weed eaters for 4.5 yrs - only changed spark plug and air filters once- and they have both been used hard. one is now a hedge trimmer and one is a pole saw. because we bought the new 110's this spring.

As far as yours bogging down when edging , had the carb adjusted never had another problem, ( we use 89 octane and only use stilh mix)

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

My FS 85 takes about 3-4 pulls for the first start of the day, after that it usually takes 2 pulls.

6. JerrysLawnService

JerrysLawnService LawnSite Member

We had trouble with all of our Sthil FS85. So we switched to Redmax, no more problem

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you taken it back to the dealer? Being so new, they should at least check it out for free. Maybe it needs an adjustment. I use the same weedeater and it works good for about two or three seasons. I don't use mine as an edger though.

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

My Stihls have all been tempermental until I switched to OptiMax oil. It took about one week and all the problems I have experienced have gone. No more hard starting, power loss, oil residue on the mufflers. In fact the machines all run cooler now as well.

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

SWD, would that be the opti-2 stuff?

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My FS85 has run great for about 6 years.