Are Alluminum Trailers Worth It?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 22, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Im either buying a steel for 1200 or the same size Aluminum for double, not sure what to get. Do you think the alluminum worth the extra money?

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

What are you towing with?

A couple guys use Alum in town because they carry one mower and use a Dakato or S10 type truck. The Alum you usually can't tell your pulling it because it is so light. It probably saves some gas also.

I use steel currently with a V10 truck I can't tell if a trailer is on it or not most of the time. Repairs are easier with steel since welding is more common for steel than alum. MPG with my truck doesn't vary much with or without the trailer.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

i dont think i would notice the weight differance either, I have a 2500.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

5. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

The aluminum wont rust.

6. treeman574

treeman574 LawnSite Member
    from ny

Check your weights when a buddy of mine was looking at 3 place snowmobile trailers steel or alum. he found that the alum. was actually heavier because of how much extra material they had to put in them to get the same strength as a steel one.

7. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

What...My alum snowmobile trailer was 200# lighter then the same steel trailer. My 16' alum landscape trailer is 600# lighter then the steel of the same size. That was one of the reasons i got it, plus never needs painting..

8. treeman574

treeman574 LawnSite Member
    from ny

lack of maintenance, no rust are the good points. but thats just what i remember him telling me but both the trailers he was looking at were enclosed. However only saving that small amount of weight wouldnt justify the extra cost to me ive had my small trailer since 1990 and ive onlt had to redeck once and repaint once.

9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I picked up a 18' steel in 02. Never was used in winter. fenders rotted out in 4 yrs. Rest of trailer was soild, just rusty. Im sure other manufactures trailers paint jobs last longer then this ones did. Now with the alum I dont have to worry about rust/rot or repaint.
    The gate on the 18' steel took two men and a boy to lift(Ya I could have gotten gate lifts). The alum gate i can lift with one hand easly. Im gettin old,
    so every little bit helps:laugh: