Are aluminum (not steel) enclosed trailers OK?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TimberlandGrounds, Dec 31, 2003.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new trailer for the 04 season. I am going to order a new trailer soon, probably a 8x20 enclosed trailer.

Does anyone use an aluminum enclosed trailer? I see most trailers are steel, not aluminum. I know aluminum cost more, but I like the fact they do not rust and are easier to tow.

However, are aluminum trailers strong enough for daily use for lawn equipment?

Does anyone use this type of aluminum enclosed trailer?

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had aluminum horse trailers in the past and never had a problem with it holding up to 4 bone headed horses almost every weekend driving almost 500 miles one way.
  3. mosynthetics

mosynthetics LawnSite Member

Many horse owners have AL trailers many more want one. They stand up to nature's wear-n-tear from the all the hay and water that run through horses. No rust, no rot. Some AL horse trailer manfuctuers provide set buy-back percentages as they don't depreciate like steel trailers.

One thing to check, they can weigh more than steel trailers due to extra bracing, etc. even though many people just guess ALs are lighter.

4. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I run an all aluminum trailer for landscaping. It is actually a v-nose snowmobile trailer. I had a steel framed unti prior to this one and the frame & tounge started rusting within a year. I think the all aluminum is the way to go. The cost more but hold up better. Also the weight factor - enpty trailer 2100#. I believe a friends enclosed trailer that is much smaller weighs closer to 4000#.