Are any of these worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Jan 29, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Scag 36" Belt Drive with Velke and Grass Gobbler Bag....3 yrs old..But only used weekly.

$ 1699.00

JUST REDUCED......Great Dane 60" Standup Surfer, 4 years old Special $ 2200.00.......NOW $ 1599.00

gd61_small.jpg

2. precisionlawn

Sorry, heres the scag.

scag32_small.jpg

3. precisionlawn

A local store is selling these I was thinking of picking them both up, I have tested both of them and they both fire right up and seem to work just fine, no smoke nothing. The question i need to know is "are they worth the price?"

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I and many others do not like the Great Danes. I dont like the scag because of the fixed deck. Just my opinion though.

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds over priced, I would think you could find one for about $1200 maybe even $1000 in the off season

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What engines are on them? I would say about $1000 for the scag (fixed deck should be no prob. on a 36") Not sure about the surfer, Sounds about right if it has enough HP.

Happy Mowing

7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Tme that is to much for the scag, you can get a new one around here for about $2400.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Great dane, worth it, Scag too high. I got this one (1992 in good shape) for $800. It is a 52" hydro fixed deck SCAG with a 14hp Kawasaki. Somewhat lowpowered but it will work fine. Sulky didn't come with it but it was in start and mow condition (still is haha)

eric 319.jpg

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What size engine on the Scag, how clean is it (pic is too smal to tell)? If it's really clean I thinks it's a decent price considering that it comes with a sulky and a bagger.
    See if they will knock a little more off if you take both.

10. KirbyKLC

KirbyKLC LawnSite Member

Yep!! Like everyone else said, the SCAG is overpriced. Maybe $1000.

To back that up, I missed out on buying a 2002 36 belt SCAG this week. Had about 200 hrs on 13hp Kawi, the guy ended up trading it in and got $1500 for it, I was going to pay him $1700 and get some of his accounts with it.