Are "Average homeowners" just Average weaklings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I got to thinking today, you always see brands like Homelite, Poulan, Craftsman and other brands, even Stihl coming out with "easy pull" equipment, some with spring assists etc. My question is- why? I mean, are we in the lawn maintenance business that much stronger than the average homeowner that we can start engines without all these easy start gimmics? What do you think? :weightlifter:

2. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

It's not about strength. The average homeowner does little to no maintenance on his equipment. Over time, everything takes a tiring 10-20 pulls to start up. The companies probably figure they can't make people maintain their equipment, so they might as well make it easier for them to deal with the consequences.

3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Manufacturers also have a built in incentive to not kill the customers.

With 60+% of people overweight pulling the cord over and over again could lead to a heart attack. It's sad, but most people pant after walking a block. :cry:

:)

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Think so? I figure, I've got an old 1978 Echo trimmer I got from a homeowner for free, starts on 2-3 pulls, maybe some homeowners maintain their stuff better than others?

5. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

It's a marketing thing.

Average homeowners don't like to do yardwork. They do it because they have to and don't want to pay an LCO to cut their lawn. And they probably don't maintain their equipment on a regular basis as it has been stated before. And they don't like to waste time screwing around trying to start a fussy trimmer. Yeah...you'll never see gimmicks like this on full blown commercial equipment.

6. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

doesnt have anything to do with how strong somebody is. why do you think thet price stuff at $9.99 ? only cause it looks and sounds better than 10 bucks.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even have an electric can opener.

But I am glad my big Briggs isn't a pull start engine. (31 hp)

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I take for granted most of the people that I work for are 'wuses', but once in awhile I get really surprised. There have been a few rather healthy folks, male and female, who have thrown personal health considerations, (and insurance liability considerations) into the wind, in their very honorable efforts to help me do something 'heavy' when I've worked at their homes, and didn't have any help at the time. In fact, a couple of them really kicked some A!

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good explanation. The retail industry is becoming less and less innovative as time moves faster and faster. Todays marketing involves more re-modeling of current retail products because the research and development in this department is far less costly than that of designing, building, and marketing a new innovative product.

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

:D :D ant that the true, i must have at least 3-4 per month near a client that im mowing that come over to me and ask if i can mow their lawn there pos mower wont start.