1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are Castor Beans Illegal to grow.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Jul 8, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I grow Castor Beans at my own house. I don't plan on using them at customers houses for obvious reasons.

People keep telling me that they are illegal to grow. Nobody local will carry the seed now. I can still find them on line and I also have a little pile of them from years past.

I called the master-gardners office last year, and they said it was still OK to grow, but I haven't called this year to see if it has changed.

Anybody got any ideas.

(I know how toxic the seed is, and it makes RICIN)

2. AmEdge

AmEdge LawnSite Member

Castor Bean is a beautiful plant, and is not illegal to grow.

As far as I know anyway........I know I can order the seeds through seed catalogs.
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Castor bean grows wild in tropical areas; don't worry about them being illegal to grow unless your state has some VERY weird laws.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've been growing them for the last three years. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone come up to me and say I can't grow them. I have this little speech about how it's not illegal, don't eat the seeds, it makes ricin when you have large quantities and also how there is a multitude of native plants around here that are just as toxic.