Are City commercial accounts worth chasing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toxic man, Oct 5, 2004.

1. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

For all of you applicators out there, are city accounts worth chasing, are they lucrative? For the pre-emergence business how do the citys actually pay, any experiences out there?

Louie

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Three bids the lowest bid gets it
    Quality does not matter you only get extra points for being minority

You have to cut every corner you can to make a dollar

:rolleyes:

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do a township, I was not the lowest bid.

I DID however package a better deal than anyone else, so, I guess you COULD say, depending on how you spin the numbers, that I was lowest. It's just like arguing how much % should your profit be.

Anyways, I also do a school district, where I was the lowest bid for the mowing, but now that I've been able to show I do a better job than anyone else they've had before, I'm able to get jobs for them, even though I'm not the lowest bid.

A city doesn't HAVE to take the lowest bid, as long as they can show somewhat just cause not to.

Depending on the work for the city, it can be quite lucrative.

You'd have to decide that for yourself though.

Personally, I'd rather do commercial / government work, at least the ones that I search out, because they're not as picky as some residential that comes home from a job that they hate, mad that they pay the lawn guy "too much" and look for something wrong.