Are Commercial accounts so good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdlawn, Apr 19, 2007.

?

Which type of account do you like?

1. Commercial

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Residential

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Both

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. It doesn't matter

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

i currently have one commercial account and i make pretty good money from it but i have heard that commercial accounts are the best and then i have heard residential is the way to go. (most are a mix it seems) Just wondering what you perfer. i couldn't say for myself i like it all.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We had 2 commercials and ended up haveing to sue both of them to get our money. Thats been our experiance with commercials.

3. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Both but I have to add it really depends on your market and area.
    Mine is so low balled in the commercial end of things I would rather have 30 residential to 10 commercial for the 30 resi will stay with you thew thick and thin, the commercial will drop as son as someone come alone with a lower bid!
    But it is nice to have the constant income from commercial.

4. I prefer commercial accounts, but some of the executives where I mow insisted I take on their residential lawns too.
    I couldn't really say no because these are significant accounts.
    On the up side it's really helped me with customer relations.

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

There is absolutly no loyalty in commercial. Residentials I've had for years (10+). HOA's used to be OK goinig same as commercials now price is every thing. It doesn't matter the service or if the worker look like the walked off a street corner in the ghetto (I saw it with my own eyes on an account we lost over a couple hundred, on a 10K account (HOA)we had had for 8 years, president retired we were out). And the gheeto trash were subs & the contract forbid subs, gotta love it.

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

the commercials i have, some are not to bad, but like others have said, they go out to bid, doesnt matter what kind of work you do for them.. its like they expect you to lower your price every year in order to keep the account!!

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I never had much luck getting commercial properties. I have had a few over the years, and now all I have are owned by one person, a good client. I am geared more toward up-scale residential properties, so I am never a low bidder on a commercial property. I bid on one last year, maybe a 3 or 4 acre site, building included. The manager was a friend of a friend, so I got a call.
    They wanted everything, parking lot cleaning, spring and fall clean-ups, weekly mowing, edging and weeding, full fertilizing program, pruning of shrubs and some trees around the building, tree spraying program, and all debris taken away. I crunched the numbers and my bid came in at about $10K. The manager called me the next day to see if there was a mistake on my bid, as I was three times higher than the lowest bidder:dizzy: I said no, and have a nice day. That is why I don't bother with commercial properties.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The commericial accounts are 12 months of money with a lot of opportunity for extra stuff like mulch, granite paths, rye grass, etc etc. And you can start on them at 7:00am and move over to residential later in the day. The bidding is very very competitive but when you latch onto them if you can give almost instant response they will be loyal. We had an emergency call from a resturant on Monday that the owner was flying in and they wanted all the palm trees done...and a list of other things. No estimate was necessary and we got 18 man-hrs of work...nice.

9. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

We only do residential!