Are commercial mowers priced differently to private people and business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fulano, May 18, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to go to an exmark, toro, hustler, scag dealer and price a mower would I get a different price than a commercial landscape firm? I already know the profesional is treated better, but my question if they get better prices as well and that could include parts. If so how much?

2. Oh Yeah! It can be quite a lot. maybe 20 to 30% cheaper if you'er "The City of Cincinnati" or something.
    Dave

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Volume rules, period.

4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Car dealers often have a fleet dealer to deal with the commercial side of the business. Usually one is able to get a better deal like that, or get free equipment on the truck or van. I figured lawn mower dealers may have the same thing. I was pretty sure if you bought 100 mowers you could negotiate direct with the manufacturer or distributer and get a hefty discount.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i save so much it equals out to be free trimmers and blowers each year.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I get my ZTR's at the Federal Goverment Contract price because I buy John Deere and because I have contracts in excess of an amount that Deere establishes I get them at the same price the fed's do.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I get small discounts from time to time, 5 dollars here maybe 10 there, but then I might spend 8 thousand in my busiest year so it makes sense when an average volume business spends closer to 20k or 50k a year, they likely get a little bit better price than I do.

But to answer the question in a simple way, if you as a business owner are buying one mower and John the homeowner is buying the same mower, the price is the same for both.

Once I found a dealer I liked, I buy ALL my stuff through the same guy for the past 3 years solid.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I always go to 3 or more dealers and work them down on price and I do about as well as anyone. I bought my 27 hp Lazer Z 60" for a little over $8,000. That wasn't the lowest price but I liked the dealer and he came close to the lowest and was closer. Go in there and find the man that can make the big decisions not the part time salesman and work him till he see's things your way. Go back repeatedly with quotes from other dealers. I'm sure there are people that get better deals than me but I work hard to get the best deal I can and am always prepared to walk away. Don't seem too anxious.

9. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

If you buy in larger volume you can get in on fleet discounts with a lot of manufacturers. Usually will take somewhere around a 30K inital purchase give or take. But then you can get in on discounts for future purchases.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just depends on the dealer. Our main dealer here gives you a discount if you own a business. Other dealers dont around town don't.