Are Commercial tags needed for Signs on truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Mar 22, 2007.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, need some help with this topic...If i were to put magnetic signs on my truck would i need to have commercial tags on it, It is a toyota tacoma pulling a 6x10 single axle trailer ? If anyone knows or knows where i can get some information on DOT stuff like that let me know, thanks!
  2. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

If you're using a truck to make $ aren't you supposed to have commercial plates anyway? That's what I was told here in Ohio. Sure we can drive around w/out em but it's pretty routine for a cop to add that citation to the violation they pull you over for.
  3. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Get the commercial plates, but in the meantime put signs on the trailer. Just a little loop hole.:)
  5. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

I have my truck lettered but no comm plates. I have been like that for 2 years and was never stopped. I didnt do comm cause my insurance would go up on the truck.....Bu legally you have to have comm plates
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had commercial plates for several years on my truck because of the legal issues with signs on the trucks and trailers
  7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I had to switch to commercial plates after a cop noticed the signs and trailer. It is more expensive than regular plates.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have commercial plates and was told that the trucks HAD TO be lettered if you have commercial plates, they actually call it "all purpose" here. (Canadian)
  9. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by local DMV
    If your truck is being used for buisness,,,,,get lettering
    NO Commercial plates required ?????
  10. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

In MA you need them, the cost of reg on my F-350(reg @10,000 GVW) went from $35(passanger plates) for 2 years to $170(commercial plates) a year.