Are Compact ZTR's worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Jul 17, 2007.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking of replacing my 52" Bobcat hydro wb mower. I am weighing the options to see what I should get. I have priced out 3 machines and am not sure what would be my best purchase.

Bobcat 52" hydro wb, 17hp kawasaki recoil start...

Bobcat 48" Fastcat riding mower with a 19hp kawasaki kai engine (electric start of course)

Bobcat 61" Pro-cat rider 25hp kawasaki engine.

The wb, and the fastcat rider, I can get for right about the same price (about $5,000), the 61" rider is going to run me an additional $2,500 or so.

I am not mowing many larger lots at the moment but I am still expanding my customer base. I was just going to get the 52" wb but I figure the 48" rider can cut more then a 52" rider because its faster ground speed. Any input would be great!!
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody??? Bump...
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you have to turn alot, you might be better off with the walk behind. that is if you have delicate grass like we have here.
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Why all the different sizes? Just curious.

They make all of them in 52" or 48".

Honestly I would stick to either the WB or the ZT200(Procat). If you were looking for a 36-42" machine then I would think about the Fastcat.

Even then the small tires on the mini Z's can dig in more than a WB or full size machine. I would think its worse with 48"+ decks hanging on them.