are cpa's the way to go?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jebbster007, Dec 23, 2003.

1. jebbster007

jebbster007 LawnSite Member

I am just starting out on my own this spring. I allready have around 10 mid sized yards and am putting a bid in on a pretty rough apt complex. I have been to the irs web site and am well a little confused. I need a EIN and insurance for sure, any help would be great.
    And if anyone has a bid sheet that could help me as this is my first time it would be great. Any info on certification to use chemicals would be good as well. Thanks to all
    Jeb

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeb,
    You've been working in the industry for 10 years - as a supervisor - and you can't answer those questions? I don't mean to poke fun at you, here, but I kind of wonder ...
    You will need to contact the IRS to get your EIN, shop around the different insurance agencies for a general liability policy, contact your local agricultural extension office to get info on getting licensed for apps. Bids come by experience, use your 10 years of experience to estimate the time it would take to do a job and price them to make a buck instead of break even. Good luck and welcome to Lawnsite.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You need an EIN if you have employees.
    General liability insurance--call your homeowner agent, car agent, etc and see if they sell G/L insurance. If not, they probably can recommend a friend.

It will take you longer than overnight to get the chemical lic. Call the ag ext office immediately after the holidays to find out what all you need. Expect it to take a while to complete all they require.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I'm not sure where the "CPA" part in the title comes into play with this. If that is a question, YES you need a good CPA for taxes and any financial type help you need for starting the business. They can help you with EIN numbers, State taxes, Business Lic. etc. A good CPA and good Lawyer are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

5. jebbster007

jebbster007 LawnSite Member

thanks guys, i made some buz cards tonight and well am tired of working for the man. I was trying to due the irs thing myself and just wanted your info. thats to much stuff to read w/o a cpa. thanks for the help jeb
    o yea did some more looking on this site and have found plenty of usefull info, i think i spoke beofre really searching, but thanks