1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are Cub Cadet RTZ's any good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ATVracer, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I am just now starting my own business and am getting ready to buy a new ZT mower. I don't have gobs of money to buy a "commercial" ZT mower and I really like the prices of the Cub Cadet RZT mowers. Does anyone own one and what do you think about them? I will have only 5-10 yards at max as I work FT at my regular job, so I don't think I need a commercial mower. What other ZT mowers are there in the 3K price range? This site has already gave me tons of great info, thanks everyone!
  2. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I have a Z-Force 44. I have been using it like no tomorrow for the last two years. It is a reasonable mower for the money but won't last much longer for me.

There are things that I don't like about it BUT it is a ZTR style mower and that saves a ton of time.

I get my BIG one in March however using this smaller ZTR with Cub's zero-interest for 2 years I was able to pay it off and save quite a bit of cash for the next one. It is not commercial grade/quality and you should not expect it to last very long. It is a good starter mower that will stay with you while you grow.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Personally I'd spend that money on a nice slightly used commercial hydro walk behind mower with a sulky.

Homeowner mowers aren't designed to do 10-15 lawns a week.

I think too many guys just want to be able to say they have a "Z".
  4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Gravely makes an @Home series of mowers that are between residential and commercial grade, should last a long time.
  5. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a Gravely 1844XL and this is my first year, I like it a lot. It's so borderline commercial and is nearly identical to the Commercial 44Z asside from some minor differences. It has held up to the abuse very well and I haven't had any problems. It's a tough machine and would probably outlast a Z Force. It's 4000 and is worth the money. If you want a good Z that'll be your best bet but you could get a great hydro walkbehind that you could use forever. I started on a snapper which was a waste of money and wish I would have gotten a wb. Then I would have had a good fleet going into next year. Choose wisely and research research demo research!
  6. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

you will be better off. in my opinion. i was in the same boat at the begining of the season. in fact, i was looking at the same cub cadet mower. i ended up trading one of my wb (belt drive) on a 52" exmark lazer. i love it. however, i had a few hills that i could not do with the lazer and i was forced to use a crappy 36" wb (belt drive). don't get me wrong, it cut fine, just wasn't new. i just tried out a 52" exmark turf tracer hydro and i love it. man, i will never buy another belt drive. my advice, buy what you can afford and will be the most versitle and you will make enough money to upgrade later. good luck.