1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are Cub/Lesco Commercial unerated?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Envy has spent a lot of time with ZTR and he prefers the Lesco/Cub models, or so it seems. I saw a lot of good looking lots posted on this site that were cut with a commercial Cub Cadet. The majority of people seem to view them as more of a home owner type ZTR. What do you think? Does Envy Know something we don't? He's been at this a long time. Why aren't Cubs more popular with LCO's?

Sorry misspelled underrated......
  2. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I like the Lesco product line, but the repair shops around here won't touch them! And Lesco doesn't have a mechanic.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great subject and question. I think alot of what is being said only boils down to reputation. I know that sounds like a strange phrase, because usually, reputation is HUGE. But if we remember, the older Vipers from Lsco really weren't worth a darn, and never did cut well. When Cub then first introduced their first Z's, they WERE a homeowner grade and caliber. It was at the introduction of The Tank, and then the Commercial line that we really first saw a difference. Since then, MTD has refined on these machines even more, and have created a machine hat both cuts well, AND is holding up well in the field. Now, as we know, there is still models out there with the Cub name on them that we can't compare, because it is like apples to oranges. Of course, the same holds true with other brands, too. We know that Toro has a few "ZTR's" out there that ARE homeowner grad, as well as JD and even Exmark had their little Phaser or whatever it was. I see more and more of these MTD's out on the road, and more and more guys saying they are happy with them inCLUDing some that used to have the smaller units. I have one kid, a son of a customer of mine, who has started into the lawn cutting business (college kid, now). I have been sort of "mentoring" him through, and help any ay I can by letting him dump his stuff for free, sharpen his blades for him, and help him with some of the maintenance and such (Hello, Drew,...if you're reading this :) ). He he went from his Dad's tractor - to a small Cub Z. After his second season with that, he graduated to a Commercial and LOVES it. I have seen the machinein action, and it does well. I'm thinking that it s like a 23 hp wita 52" deck or something close to that.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

The cut quality of the M60 Tank is one of the best out there. It has enough power so mulching isn't a problem. Changing deck belts is soo easy. I found I couldn't use the Fram oil filters I like to use on my mowers for clearance reasons. Ride quality is......well a little rough, make sure you lock the front end, get a suspinsion seat, and let som air out of the rear tires. Now if you are mowing nice smooth yards it's not a problem at all, but most yards aren't perfectly smooth. Price wise you can't beat them, great financing rates, and comes with a factory striper.

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

tacoma,good topic,I'm curious too.i was looking forward to buying a SCAG Wildcat for my next mower when I read a post that SCAG was only going to offer the 61"Wildcat with the 26 HP LC Kawasaki,I want the 27 Kohler,my dealer has the LC for over $9600,I'm looking at other options.I just read on the Cub Cadet web-site that they use aluminum spindles,how good is that?How do they cut northern grass?How tuff are they compared to a SCAG?Thanks for the topic.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

700 hrs and not one problem.... great cut....easy to maintain....it was a good investment for me...
  7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

there is some deals to be had on lesco equipment in this area as they are going bye bye. the mechanic at our local lesco has been told he is out of a job within a couple monthe and as soon as they sell everything they have in store there history. jd had to buy there fert and chem products cause they couldnt do it on there own seems like thats the only way they know how to get into the turf biz buy someone elses products and sell those.
  8. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, and in my opinion lesco/cub are cheap you get what you pay for. Our scags and wrights and walkers are built by far superior to lesco/cub
  9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Complete BS!! But keep telling yourself that. Whatever makes you feel better about wasting an extra couple grand on a mower cause of color.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've never run one (reason for asking the question) but there are at least two members that swear by them and here is a post several pages long that should answer some of your questions. Envy Lawn Service (and Envy know his stuff) and ProStreetCamaro are big fans. I really don't have a personal opinion. No Commercial LCO's run them here. Click on this link: