1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are customers all fair game?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OwenS, Jul 30, 2003.

1. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I'm fairly new to mowing full time, and one of my competitors is selling his mowing rigs on ebay. We mow in the same areas so I know a lot of his houses and I want to bid his accounts Do you guys think its ethical to move in on this guys customers before he sells his company? Owen
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

3. Do unto other as you'd have done to yourself. As far as what they do unto to you? Well that's another subject ...

If you're going to make a move on insider-information, even though it's not illegal, it's definitely not honorable. However, if it is public knowledge that he's getting out of the business then it may not be as sleazy. But those accounts may be the most valuable thing he is selling, so if you do something to reduce that value, it wouldn't be too cool.

I'm all for hustling up work, but if you start stepping on other people's turf, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Aside from a LCO dropping the ball, just how loyal do you think these newly-hawked customers would be to you? I try to avoid price-shopper customers.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

applause, applause,
    Bluesteel, just have to say, that's the best post I've ever read of yours, the whole thing. Just had to say that, good going.

OwenS, ever thought about approaching this other LCO to find out what his whole story is? Is he selling equipment only, or accounts too? Selling equipment to upgrade??
    I'd advise you find out before you ASSume too much.:)
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well brother,i hate to say it but thats how the free enterprise system works....
    its a judgement call,and i wouldnt go after a friends money.... but u better believe somebody will... just do whatever makes u sleep good at nite. jmo

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

how would u like someone trying to take away youre meal ticket.
    not everyone is honarabel but the ones that are get more respect and word spreads fast abought slime balls so what do u want to be.
  7. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Go talk to him. He might have someone else that he is selling or trying to sell the accounts to. If you get a hold of him right away perhaps you can get in on the bidding. Just a thought. I wouldn't just go and try to take them out right though. Thats not how you want your reputation to go.
  8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Dog dog, dog eat dog.

When I advertise, I go into any area that I want. Don't worry about it.
  9. howiehowie

howiehowie LawnSite Member

I believe that if you are doing a great job at a fair price, you shouldn't worry about competition on your existing jobs. If your client decides to drop you it is their loss for you are quality. On that same note, if I approach a prospective customer that already has service I don't expect to get anywhere with them if they are happy with their current cutter. All lawns are fair game other than friends' clients.
  10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

That practice might get you shot in Flint. Find some other work....