Are customers drawn to hispanics???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 24, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Today, I had to go pick up a sod roller, so I dropped my hispanic employee (who has ss# and documentation, btw) off to start on a shrub trimming job. I was gone for about an hour.

When I returned, he handed me a business card. Some guy had seen him working and was interested in a quote for work. Left his business card with my employee.

That got me to thinking about something. It just dawned on me today. Most of the new business I've picked up this year, where people see us out working and ask for a price, has been where I'm in the back lawn mowing while he's running trimmer or blower in the front lawn. It happens a lot. They'll approach him but not me.

I'm beginning to think that people want to hire hispanics because they think they'll be cheaper than what the whites would charge them.

Am I just imagining this, or is there something to it?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

You got it, go with it, Get your hispanic crew during your marketing
  3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Happened all the time to me too.

My helpers have generally been hispanic. I can't tell you the number of times through the years they've handed me a number, or told someone that approached them..."you'll have to talk to my boss in back."

Hell, I found out after one of my guys quit me...that he'd gotten so many people coming up to him while working for me...he started his own company. And ya...when I saw him doing all these lawns next to mine...I was seriously pissed off. That's a topic unto itself.

I think people just feel comfortable talking to a hispanic about manuel ;) labor. Stereotypical or bigotted as it may's reality.
  4. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

There may be something to that. However, one thing I find ironic is that half my customers are hispanic and I'm white. A couple of my customers barely speak English. I'm not that cheap either. Usually, it is completely the other way around in this area.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hispanic is a dirty word to me since they don't pay federal taxes. F-15's, Homeland security, welfare for every nation on earth. How much longer can we shoulder all of this and let the millions of them not pay?
  6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It is actually a condition called "Get a mexican to do it"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard when you gonna hire you some mexicans.

See a lot of whites want to hire mexicans so they can tell all their white friends oh yea "I got my mexican to do that"

Had a customer call me about a french drain I looked at it and decided the problems required an engineer or landscape architect to design a fix I was in the process of finding one to help. Pulled up to mow the account and there were 11 Mexicans with shovels and 2 wheel barrows moving the back yard to the front yard as a fix took em 2 days 220 man hours I hope it works.
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Now that I think about it, maybe it is my imagination. My employee wears a uniform, so it's obvious to any passer by that he's working for the gringo. Also, my truck has huge professional lettering and there's a huge sign on the back of my trailer with Visa/MC logos. I don't think that people are approaching him because he might be doing work for cheap prices.

Now this question:

1.) Crew number one is in a lettered truck and all crew members are uniformed. The truck is fairly new and the trailer looks nice. Looks like a real operation. All crew members are hispanic.

2.) Crew number two is pulling a trailer. Neither the truck nor the trailer have a bit of lettering. Not even a magnetic sign. The crew is wearing ordinary street clothes. The truck is rusty, filthy and old. The trailer looks like it was made by a 6th grader with a hammer and nails. Again, all crew members are hispanic.

Which crew is more likely to be approached by the neighbors for a price quote?

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is definately a reason. I have been asked by new people who my labor force is. We are about 50/50 between hispanics and college kids. I have had success with both so that is not a problem, everyone speaks english and they all start at the same wage. Anyway they seem to think that the hispanics will work for cheaper which will translate to a lower bill.

Of course it does not matter nor is it their business who makes what. The customer still pays the same.

It would not surprise me that some are looking for this "cheaper" work force.
  9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not around here. No one has ever seen a Mexican here in PA.
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends.. I think the answer would boil down to what kind of potential customer your talking about. It really doesn't matter to me, but you did hit on a subject that I've though of before. And I will tell you the solution, if you really think the problem is that bad.... Learn to speak espanol. and do not hire workers that speak English, problem 75% solved. Most white "gringo" homeowners are not bilingual, even in TX,.... NO HABLA!!! When I hire my first employee, I promise you he will not speak a word of english. I have noticed, and I'm not trying to stereotype, it's just my personal observation, that non english speaking, non- Americanized, hispanics tend to outwork other, english speaking hispanics almost 10 to 1. It seems that some hispanics have the " I shouldn't have to work, yet still get paid" entitelment attitude that some Americans have nowadays.. Again I'm not rying to offend or stereotype anyone.