1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are decks interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Nov 21, 2004.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have the 2002 Bunton 36" Hydro and was wondering if I could replace the 36" deck with a 48" deck. That being said I would also like to know if the Kawi 15 that is on the mower could accomadate the 3 bladed 48" deck.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that the the 15HP can be used for the 48". I have a 15Hp Kawasaki Hydro Unit that works a 48"
  3. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

keep the 36--you will always find use for this size deck.

Buy a new larger machine--48 52 or 61

Get a good Velke and happy mowin'
  4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I often wondered that as well. I thought I would be cool to be able to just change out decks to larger or smaller sizes depending on the job. Of course it would have to be an easy switch to be viable. I also thought of how much time you would save if you could easily pull the deck off the mower you could get your 60" though a 36" gate.
  5. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

IMO There is no way that you could change out a deck easily enough to accommodate one customer. You wouldnt want to even try it for a day swap out.
    Those decks are heavy! Probably 300-400lbs. Then you have the belts on the spindles to deal with.
    For a one-time swap,yea maybe but dont count on a pit-stop type changeout on these decks.
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I know. But if they made them with a pto instead of belts and connected like a 3pt hitch or something simmilar to a skid steer attchement I would think it would work pretty good. I know Gravely makes walk behind tractors that are similar to that, but I didn't like the way they operated.
  7. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had a Snapper mower 30" that was connected by a pin that could be removed in a snap.The only issue was the blade engagement cable was a pain to remove because it was inside the deck. payup