1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are diesels right for lawn servicing?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scagman, Mar 14, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I love diesels the sound and torqe the beefiness, but they dont seem right for stop and go lawnservicing. I know a guy that owns a 94' F-250 powerstoke and he told me at the time of my truck purchase (2000 F-250 SP XL V8) to not buy a diesel, he ses their not made for starting and stopping. That seems to make sense, but everytime I pull up next to a powerstroke or cummins or duramax, I wish I would of bought a brand new 2002 F-250 powerstroke XL. If im wrong I will definetley trade this one in next year for the powerstroke.

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

buy one i own three new f-350 diesel's .there great . don't listen to the other people. it is a lot better on fuel ,and the power is great.also there are very low mantience. but if they break it's big money to fix .so buy new.buy one you wont be sorry. i NEVER buy a gas truck again. good luck.
  3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Would't drive any thing but my 2001 XLT PSD !
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

diesel is deffenitly the way to go.trade that 250 in for the 350PS I love mine.didn';t know how i ever di with out one.:)
  5. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Nothing wrong with a gas engine but a diesel is nice to have. If you only haul a few mowers stick with gas. If you have a lot to pull then get a diesel.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Works for me, I'll never own a gas engine truck again.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Words to live by! Same here.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I just got my first diesel last september and i dont ever want to go back to gas. the mileage, sound, torque, and even horsepower are so much better than the gas. especially when pulling a heavy load, the diesel will allow you to pull it with ease.
  9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Power from a deisel is great, no question. My only remark tho is this....Have u ever spent 22 hours in a deisel backing through that horrible stink while plowing snow?
  10. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah it's great ."Nothing like smelling diesel in the morning"